Nissan TECHS: HELP!!!! DTC U-1000

Ok guys, I'm hoping someone on here is a Nissan Tech or has a friend that is. I've got a 2006 Nissan Xterra with the U-1000 DTC. I've read up on it, seems to be a bad ground connection somewhere that causes electronic havoc, no start etc.

Internet forums say its some ground wire that comes lose, gets corroded or something.

Anyone here know anything more specific about this I'm not trying to disassemble the entire truck looking for that ground wire.

I'm no Nissan Tech, But a Former Mercedes-Benz tech.

The U code you're dealing with is a CAN communications failure...

U1000 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id.

DTC U1000 CAN COMMUNICATION LINE PFP:23710

Description ECS00AWY

CAN (Controller Area Network) is a serial communication line for real time application. It is an on-vehicle multiplex

communication line with high data communication speed and excellent malfunction detection ability.

Many electronic control units are equipped onto a vehicle, and each control unit shares information and links

with other control units during operation (not independent). In CAN communication, control units are connected

with 2 communication lines (CAN H line, CAN L line) allowing a high rate of information transmission

with less wiring. Each control unit transmits/receives data but selectively reads required data only.

On Board Diagnosis Logic ECS00AWZ

This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item.

Diagnostic trouble code “U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT” with CONSULT-II is detected when TCM cannot

communicate to other control units.

Possible Cause ECS00AX0

Harness or connectors

(CAN communication line is open or shorted.)

First thing is first, check all your Connectors, Grounding points, proceed to check the CAN Bridges/Bus bars, . Verify there is no GFS/WFS (green fuzzy crap / white fuzzy crap). When all those check out step 2...

Check the communications network circle, basically any wires in a twisted pair are going to possibly be CAN wires.

Hope this helps some.

-Chips

Ok guys, I'm hoping someone on here is a Nissan Tech or has a friend that is. I've got a 2006 Nissan Xterra with the U-1000 DTC. I've read up on it, seems to be a bad ground connection somewhere that causes electronic havoc, no start etc.

Internet forums say its some ground wire that comes lose, gets corroded or something.

Anyone here know anything more specific about this I'm not trying to disassemble the entire truck looking for that ground wire.

Does he have a cell phone?

tell him to turn it off, shut the door lock the truck wait 5 minutes . keep the cell phone off try starting the truck again.

if that doesn't work look under the driver seat for a wire harness module or bounce up and down in the driver seat w/ the key on.

if that doesn't work disconnect the alternator...

Is the cruise control switch accidentally turned on ?

clear the codes and recheck to see if any others come up.

yup, what Cult said, non complicated way like I did. :P

the communication circle is broken somewhere and the Bus bars/ CAN bridges are usually the grounding junctions too. about 3-5 twisted pairs go into each of those Bus/Bridges.

the communication circle is broken somewhere and the Bus bars/ CAN bridges are usually the grounding junctions too. about 3-5 twisted pairs go into each of those Bus/Bridges.

It could be something really simple like coins (loose change) the fell between the seat or wedged in a stereo component.

but the transponder key is being interfered with by an electrical device

I have a Tacoma and my old cell phone wouldn't let my stereo turn on or it would turn the stereo on for me.. weird

I got a different cell phone.

Edited by starion_cult

If you had a hand held radio with and external antenna

you might be able to locate the short that's causing the interference.

A fuse or a module that has significant voltage to it with the ignition switch, cancels out the key chip.

Cult are we on the same page? lol

Body CAN :ignition switch -> Body control-> Central locking -> Radio -> SRS

yeah totally "communication" I wasn't quoting your stuff just throwing in my explanation.

I'm glad I never got a Nissan.

Edited by starion_cult

It could be something really simple like coins (loose change) the fell between the seat or wedged in a stereo component.

but the transponder key is being interfered with by an electrical device

I have a Tacoma and my old cell phone wouldn't let my stereo turn on or it would turn the stereo on for me.. weird

I got a different cell phone.

Oh yeah I did , sorry I clicked the wrong reply key...

basically if you combine what you and I both mis interpreted Hahahaha! you can follow the whole CAN network with a walkie talkie you can listen in for a fuzzy sound or you can always break out the logic probes...

LOL the truck is chewing on Lou's head as we speak. :lol:

I'm no Nissan Tech, But a Former Mercedes-Benz tech.

The U code you're dealing with is a CAN communications failure...

U1000 SCP (J1850) Invalid or Missing Data for Primary Id.

DTC U1000 CAN COMMUNICATION LINE PFP:23710

Description ECS00AWY

CAN (Controller Area Network) is a serial communication line for real time application. It is an on-vehicle multiplex

communication line with high data communication speed and excellent malfunction detection ability.

Many electronic control units are equipped onto a vehicle, and each control unit shares information and links

with other control units during operation (not independent). In CAN communication, control units are connected

with 2 communication lines (CAN H line, CAN L line) allowing a high rate of information transmission

with less wiring. Each control unit transmits/receives data but selectively reads required data only.

On Board Diagnosis Logic ECS00AWZ

This is an OBD-II self-diagnostic item.

Diagnostic trouble code “U1000 CAN COMM CIRCUIT” with CONSULT-II is detected when TCM cannot

communicate to other control units.

Possible Cause ECS00AX0

Harness or connectors

(CAN communication line is open or shorted.)

First thing is first, check all your Connectors, Grounding points, proceed to check the CAN Bridges/Bus bars, . Verify there is no GFS/WFS (green fuzzy crap / white fuzzy crap). When all those check out step 2...

Check the communications network circle, basically any wires in a twisted pair are going to possibly be CAN wires.

Hope this helps some.

-Chips

Uhhh, you talkin about a car there or fuzzy logic? As in I'm kinda fuzzy about making any logical sense out of that statement. I think I'll stick to older cars. Much simpler machines.

basically if you combine what you and I both mis interpreted Hahahaha! you can follow the whole CAN network with a walkie talkie you can listen in for a fuzzy sound or you can always break out the logic probes...

LOL the truck is chewing on Lou's head as we speak. :lol:

Naaaaahhh, Not chewing on me just yet. I was just quenching my thirst with 64 ounces of malt liquor beverage!

The truck belongs to my neighbors youngest daughter....she's gratefull I'm taking the time to help :blush:

lol No, just kiddng, nothing like that. The wife would literally kill me. :huh:

I will look at the connections near ECU, it's under the hood.

Naaaaahhh, Not chewing on me just yet. I was just quenching my thirst with 64 ounces of malt liquor beverage!

The truck belongs to my neighbors youngest daughter....she's gratefull I'm taking the time to help :blush:

In Coke's famous words, "Pics or Ban" lol