Smoke at Idle

BlackBII

I've been having this problem for a while now.

I have blue smoke coming from my tailpipe, ONLY when idling. If I rev the motor or if I am driving, there is no smoke at all, but once I come to a stop and idle, it will start smoking again.

Spark Plugs, piping and compressor housing show NO sign of oil

I have the correct PCV valve

Turbo Oil drain is half inch down to the pan, below the oil level

No oil seperator, there is a hose attached to the back of the valve cover that just angles down to the ground

If I pull the oil fill cap, I can feel a lot of air coming out - should there be?

I'm thinking that oil must be leaking into the exhaust from the turbine housing, since it's not in my piping or showing on my spark plugs.

From what I have read, oil can get past the seals in the turbo from, Inadequate drainage, too much oil PSI, too much crankcase pressure - preventing the oil from draining.

Am I on the right track? Any suggestions?

Thanks

correct me if im wrong, but isnt the oil drain suppose to dump ABOVE the oil line? so it doesnt get backed up and burn in the cartridge?

Actually, this was the problem. I got it fixed today.

I had the drain below the oil level AND it necked down to about 3/8. That was too small.

I made a new drain, 1/2 inch all the way to the pan, and it is now above the oil level. No more smokey.

Learn something new everyday, I didn't think 1/4 of an ich was all that big a deal, guess it is.

Thanks!!!

Turbo drains below the oil level is ok, that's the way the EVO and DSM pans are and we've ran both you can't see a difference. Crankcase pressures changing won't have as much effect on the turbo drain if its below the oil level and its not like the oil isn't slopping around in the pan and sometimes its not covered anyway. The restriction of the hose was the problem. It was backing up the oil and it was getting past the oil seals and it was burning. You should look at the compressor housing and intercooler it may have oil in it. The hose for the drain needs to be clear and open, no kinks or mashed bends and 1/2" is about a small as I'd use that's on the small side already, smaller than stock. The same effect the restriction in the hose can be caused by the crankcase pressure and it not being drawn out through the separator before its allowed to build up. The PCV valve is the low pressure suction source while there isn't boost and the turbo inlet is the low pressure source when the PCV valve closes under boost and the OEM valve is the only one that's not leaking boost back into the crankcase that's why you should only use that one. The low pressure from the turbo inlet is relative to the boost pressure and the amount of blowby generated and this is how the stock system works best as long as its allowed to be free and open, the hoses not mashed and of adequate size to carry the pressures and keep the flow rate low to carry the least amount of oil mist possible that have to be reclaimed.

The compressor housing and intake pipes have no oil in them.

I used the old J tube off the 12a turbo and welded it to my pan, and I have a 1/2 braided steel hose going down to it from the turbo.

Thanks for the info Indiana, your replies are always detailed and have lots of info. Thanks!!