Logging turbine back pressure

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I believe the EIP Quest ran best with the STOCK CAM. 10.61 and then a 10.4 i believe with a 50 shot? NOS only used in 1st gear.

yeah, he also ran the STOCK exhaust manifold.

Okay. So I have been thinking, now what if you run a small ar on the exhaust and just run a bigger waste gate, wouldn't that help with the bottlenecking? Or would if still be there because your loosing that much heat to spool the turbo to make boost pressure? I plan on running a Vgt turbo from a cummins and the cm on it fully closed runs 3-4 and fully open is 25cm. I really want to log the tip vs map pressure and get some more info on this.

Variable area turbines are the way to go, in theory you don't need a waste gate but you will need some kind of control mechanism. What do you have in mind?

Scott

Stock manifold, aftermarket, I don't care. Just get busy, collect the data and post up. We get this figured out and someone can make some real power, not old EIP livin' in the past baby power.

Scott

Well there is a write up on how to use the stock servo motor. They are you a RC motor controller and a program to read map pressure to adjust it. I have heard even with the vanes all the way open it still tends to boost creep, But I will find out for my self. Some people have pulled the servo motor off and made brackets for a normal waste gate actuator. Now the problem with that is they don't set it up to get the full sweep to fully closed to fully open. I'm sure I can make it work.I know that the turbo is being ran by very few in the DSM crowd, I how ever did see one Starquest with one a couple of years ago. I have heard spool up time is that of a ball bearing if not faster, which isn't bad for the size of the turbo and that it is still a journal bearing.

Guess I could tap my intake manifold flange and pull some numbers from the egr port.

Now you're thinking clearly. Get it done!

They are you a RC motor controller and a program to read map pressure to adjust it.

Sounds perfect for control by megasquirt, I'm going to look into this.

Scott

Some info here about 2/3 of the way down the page. http://starion.mrbdesign.com.au/

The main difference between the turbos was:

1) Reduction of exhaust manifold backpressure by 0.5 bar (7.25 psi) @ 6000 RPM!!!!

Uncorked!!!!

2) Reduction in compressor outlet temperature of approx 20 degrees C

Note: this is with a lot higher airflow as well.

Another discovery is the major restriction between the turbo outlet and the inlet manifold. There is about a 3.8 psi pressure drop through the TBI (with 220HP airflow) noted as "A" in the graph.

• 2 months later...

Well my car off the jack stands. Put the 19c TD05h 15* clip turbo on. Thought the clip would help a little. Apparently not :lol: I have seen as much as 50 psi turbine back pressure. Pressure ratios about 2.2-2.5. I made the picture big, click on it for max resolution. The dotted lines are a pull from a slightly steeper tuning hill.

http://i237.photobucket.com/albums/ff45/StarquestRescue/Data%20logs/TBP-1.jpg