Head unit power ???

vbrad511

I wouldn't. A typical rule of thumb I've always followed is that any truck box or component speaker set that has an inline crossover needs to be amped. Most of those style of speakers usually like to have at least 100W of "true" power. 50W per channel deck power is realistically about 20-25W at best. It might do it, but not efficently.

You can damage speakers by underpowering them just as easy as you can do it by overpowering them.

Edited by Burton

head unit power ok if ya just want sound but if want good sound and volume.Even a small amp of 30watts per channel better than a deck w 50x4.esp if gonna have a sub of any kind.you'll just keep blowing up those trying to keep up.

I've got a Pioneer head unit that advertises 50w x 4. I've got a pair of boxes with 6.5's and tweets in each. Can I trust this pioneer to fire these? Efficiently?

You shouldn't "trust" anything. Do your homework and make sure that the head unit or amp wattage is comparable to your speakers. When doing that, pay attention to the nominal (or RMS) wattage and the peak wattage. I believe most head units advertise in peak power, meaning the most power they will supply. All this being said, for the best efficiency, I agree with the other guys that you'll want to go with a seperate amp.

Jake