Killed the Water Pump?

psu_Crash

So while working on my cold start enrichment today my water pump started making bad noises. Everything was fine as it sat and idled to warm up. Then it started making a grinding sound. I though O @#$! and grabbed the stethoscope. Noise is without question coming from the water pump. I thought for sure it was timing components. Pulled the belt off the pump and started the car. Noise is gone.

I can spin the pump freely by hand without noise, even while putting some good sideways pressure on it. I can't feel any bearing play either. I know if you get air in there is makes a growling noise but this sounded like rocks in the water pump. The only reason I bring this up is because I flushed the coolant system about a week ago. I have drove it since that though without any issues.

I have a spare pump that I can throw on this weekend but the remanufactured pump (lifetime warranty and lost the receipt) only has about 8k miles on it? Just looking for some thoughts/opinions.

So while working on my cold start enrichment today my water pump started making bad noises. Everything was fine as it sat and idled to warm up. Then it started making a grinding sound. I though O @#$! and grabbed the stethoscope. Noise is without question coming from the water pump. I thought for sure it was timing components. Pulled the belt off the pump and started the car. Noise is gone.

I can spin the pump freely by hand without noise, even while putting some good sideways pressure on it. I can't feel any bearing play either. I know if you get air in there is makes a growling noise but this sounded like rocks in the water pump. The only reason I bring this up is because I flushed the coolant system about a week ago. I have drove it since that though without any issues.

I have a spare pump that I can throw on this weekend but the remanufactured pump (lifetime warranty and lost the receipt) only has about 8k miles on it? Just looking for some thoughts/opinions.

Check out your other pulleys make sure they arent bad and also check the altenator to make sure it isnt bad either. also with the water pump you said you put some side ways pressure on but that belt puts alot of force on that pump. a human cant put that amount of pressure and spin it fast at the same time. if i were you i would just start off by replacing the water pump and go from there.

the a/c compressor on my truck did that...when it was not engaged. The pulley wobbled and screamed at any RPM. But, if you took the belt off, the thing didn't wobble at all and it made no noise when spinning...lol

So, I'd replace the pump. And check to see if it has one of the stickers for that store on it. I've gotten many a part from the junkyard and had it replaced with the warranty just because it had the autozone/advance sticker on it.

Thanks for the replies guys. I'll just throw on my spare pump this weekend. You can see ground up belt all over the front of the timing cover just to the right of the water pump. Safe to say it was slipping on that pulley so my guess is the WP bearings are on their way out.

I bought the pump from Napa and I'm good friends with the head guy there. I can probably work it out. Noticed the pump pulley has a bend in it. That can't be helping anything. Time for a "part wanted" post.

couple other things,, the rubber crank pully can be bad or the alt brgs , be sure to check those while at it,

The crank pulley is an aluminum MK1 so that's all good. I had the stethoscope on the alt and it wasn't making any odd noises. I wouldn't be surprised if the alt died at any time though.

Cleaned up my spare water pump and ordered a gasket. This weekend I'll have an answer.

Edited by psu_Crash

I decided on just getting a reman pump with lifetime warranty from NAPA. For $27 I couldn't go wrong. Pulled the radiator, changed the fans, all new belts, new VR sensor bracket and of course the new pump. Filled it up for a ride and everything is A OK again.

One thing I noticed that I had forgotten about is that I have the MK1 pulley that is a wider pulley groove, still with the narrower water pump and alt pulleys. I have been using the 88-89 belt. I can't imagine this is an ideal setup. After all I shouldn't be killing a new pump in 8k miles. Hope it was just a fluke.

Edited by psu_Crash