Hey folks im looking for whatever this is?

taquito

Hey guys purchased an 87 starion recently and I know it doesnt pass smog. One of the things the previous owner told me was that he had broken a piece off and never replaced it. I also notice 2 vaccum lines that arent connected and my guess is that they are attached to whatever it is that broke off. I want to say that I am aware this might not totally solve the issue with the high NOX but at least I can start making headway to keep this thing on the road legally. Thanks for all your input and please look at the pictures ive attached for reference. It's the piece covered in duct tape.

post-17658-128331192165_thumb.jpg

does your water temp gauge work wire is not connected according to pic, and yes the emissions vac hoses look like they've been changed from stock form witch will make you fail redo all those hoses and it will at least help, i don't have a link but im positive someone will reply with a link to a diagram

p.s. this is a family oriented site, although very nice and the best one ive seen you might want to change your icon.. just sayin

Edited by scooterdude92

does your water temp gauge work wire is not connected according to pic, and yes the emissions vac hoses look like they've been changed from stock form witch will make you fail redo all those hoses and it will at least help, i don't have a link but im positive someone will reply with a link to a diagram

The sensor not connected in the pic is for the ac system

High nox is caused by a faulty/none operating egr and the piece you circled in the first pic is the egr thermo valve. Get the thermo valve replaced and route your vac lines properly and go smog it. View the link below for how to route the vacuum lines.

http://www.starquest...rol_systems.pdf

and this link is for the full online service manual for your future reference

http://www.starquest...ervice_nav.html

Edited by Scotty Dont

p.s. this is a family oriented site, although very nice and the best one ive seen you might want to change your icon.. just sayin

you got it. hope you folks approve of the new one.

The thermovalve is responsible for not letting the EGR open when the engine is cold. Those 2 hoses to the thermo valve can be spliced together for now just to get it smogged. I told eviper his EGR wasn't working and that was why he was failing smog

The thermovalve is responsible for not letting the EGR open when the engine is cold. Those 2 hoses to the thermo valve can be spliced together for now just to get it smogged. I told eviper his EGR wasn't working and that was why he was failing smog

oh awesome thanks man I will definitely try and get this fixed properly. At the moment I already smogged the car and got it to pass but I want to do it right I dont like cars that dont pass smog. My 5.0 as suped up as it is it passes smog no issues I bought all carb legal upgrades and even though it was expensive it was totally worth it. I just want to restore this conquest back to stock and garage it maybe drive it once in a while. To be honest my time and loyalty still go to my mustang but I always wanted one of these babies. Now that I have one it will take some warming up to but I am sure I will dedicate the right time and attention to it once I have more time. Thanks all for your help and sorry about the first avatar I am sure this self portrait is much better and easier on the eyes.

knotice in your pic how the vac line your holding has a blue stripes?? those are there for a reason, the other hoses have them too if you look close enough, just make sure your colors on the hoses stay matching, follow each one from the TB and make sure that in the blue stripe hose that only hoses with blue stripes are running off that hose and you should be good.