Headlight failure, and it's not in the dash switch...

JessN16

On my wife's 88 Conquest, the headlights do not light up. The problem is NOT in the switch and I'm 100 percent sure of this, as I swapped over the functioning switch from my Starion, and the problem continued.

We had this happen once before and a shop fixed it for us. They told us that the problem was where the headlights themselves grounded on the chassis.

The exact problem is this: The switch activates the pop-ups, but will not turn on the lights themselves. Also, when this problem is occurring, the dash lights are dead. So are the parking lights.

Is this a fusable link issue, or is it a grounding issue somewhere else -- and if so, where do I find this ground wire? Thanks.

Jess

there is a fuse link under the hood, check and make sure its good, it should say headlights, i believe its the third one back next to the battery...

also there is a fuse(UNDER THE DASh), 15 amp, i believe its for head and tail, or something. all run through it.. if all your fuses are good then its your dimmer control, (the one next to your rear defrost) the power to the ligths runs through there, i had one fail me as well...

it's the fusible link, I've had that exact problem once on my 88, headlights would pop up, but not turn on. I could wiggle the link for the headlight and hear the relay try to trip, but no lights, inside or out. all I had was turnsignals, brakes, and hazards Edited by D_Venable

On my wife's 88 Conquest, the headlights do not light up. The problem is NOT in the switch and I'm 100 percent sure of this, as I swapped over the functioning switch from my Starion, and the problem continued.

We had this happen once before and a shop fixed it for us. They told us that the problem was where the headlights themselves grounded on the chassis.

The exact problem is this: The switch activates the pop-ups, but will not turn on the lights themselves. Also, when this problem is occurring, the dash lights are dead. So are the parking lights.

Is this a fusable link issue, or is it a grounding issue somewhere else -- and if so, where do I find this ground wire? Thanks.

Jess

Just below and beside the battery, there is a heavy red cable and in-line connector.

Check this out closely, we have found that this connector can get corroded internally and then no headlites..

Outside it looks OK but no voltage can flow through it due to internal corrosion.

Just my $0.00.. ;)

Could it be somewhere other than the actual fusable link itself? I think I remember changing out the link once already (will try again, obviously) but I'm wondering about other connections, either to the body itself or somewhere else in the circuit.

Jess

I beg to differ on the dimmer control diagnosis......when it fails, you lose dash and tail, but heads still work.

However, I really think it could be a fuse link.

Tim

yes, you are correct, that was a different time when i lost dash and tail. the headlights, mine was the fuse link under the hood... all this happened to mine last year sometime in about a weeks time..

thanks for the correction tim..

Just below and beside the battery, there is a heavy red cable and in-line connector.

Check this out closely, we have found that this connector can get corroded internally and then no headlites..

Outside it looks OK but no voltage can flow through it due to internal corrosion.

Just my $0.00.. ;)

This may be the original connection the shop was talking about. If this is the problem -- specifically, getting "corroded internally" -- what do I need to do to fix it?

Also, what will I need to remove to get a clear look at this thing, and how will I know I'm looking at the right thing (in other words, what is it connected to on both ends)?

Jess

This may be the original connection the shop was talking about. If this is the problem -- specifically, getting "corroded internally" -- what do I need to do to fix it?

Also, what will I need to remove to get a clear look at this thing, and how will I know I'm looking at the right thing (in other words, what is it connected to on both ends)?

Jess

EZ to test with a volt/ohm meter with headlite switch ON.

We usually test by sticking a small awl through the wire insulation, 1st test the input side to the connector (should be 12V) then the next check the output side to the connector. If no 12V you found the problem.

Our solution is to simply cut the connector out, splce the wires carefully, solder & shrink tube it.

Just my $0.00.. ;)

heres the relays that your interst'd in

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/head_lamp_relays.JPG

as you see each head lamp cover has it's own relay,, and one for the head lamps and a seperate one for the tail lamps

to test for batt power to the relay, remove the relay for the head lights and tail lamps,,with key off test for power with test lamp , ( only one terminal should show power ) now turn the ign swt on,, now each terminal should show 2 terminals with power

if you have power to the relay , move on to test the control side of the relays,

the grounds for the lighting circirt is ground # 1 and #10

http://www.26liter.us/gallery/albums/userpics/10009/ground_locatons.JPG

i'd sugest you remove the battery and metal cover over the relay box,, now remove the fuse link box and clean all terminals includeing each fuse link and the connector that goes to the fuse link box ( large spade terminals )

now go inside the car and remove fuses 9 and 4 , use some thing point'd to bend the terminals that the fuse plugs into tighter so the fuse is clamp'd good and tight

at this point results of the tests would help not to have to write out a full manual in the thread

page 8-61 shows power circirt to the head lamp relay,, remember any wire that does not come from ign swt and directly from the batt thru a fuse link is hot all the time key on or off

also ground #8 is a backup of ground #1 , it's locate'd behind the dash cluster

Edited by Shelby

• 2 months later...

I now own this car mentioned at the top of the thread, and I am curious as to the so called "ground near the fender?" Is there a ground for the headlights near the battery somewhere? Because the previous owner mentioned having fixed the problem once before by cleaning a ground for the headlights by the battery/fender area.

Hoping to pass inspection soon, but no headlights, no sticker. Any info on the location of this "ground" would be great.

Evan