Lil bit of custom work..

I hate to sound like a little school girl, but im pretty excited about a project im starting mid next week.

One, im custom fabricating a side exit exhaust. My plan as of now, and with the way its currently layed out i believe its going to look and sound amazing. But its not going to be an average side exit by the rear tire....Im planning on a pasenger fender exit, but torward the lower part of it to cut back on future exhuast coloring or heat damage.

2nd, I seen a couple hondas running around with those front mount cold air intakes...they look similar to a small intercooler and apparently work well. so my plan so far is to buy the kit, and customixe that fmic looking air filter either into the passger side front lip beside the intercooler...or do something in the engine bay and flush it with the hood when it closes, and of course end up with some body work on the hood to make it functional. lucklily if I go the hood route, a friend hooked me up with a complete set of 280z oem hood scoops, though i dont think they will be wide enough, they might look cool and be functional. if not, well ill figure out something along the way.

ill post pics on photobucket when i get far enough in the project this week or next weekend and it starts to look like something.

the project is on my red 89 quest tsi btw.

sounds cool...but, one thing to consider about the CAI placement, if you plan on ever driving it in a rainy condition, you might want to keep it up high.

Sucking a few hundred CFMs of water up through your turbo and into your engine tis not a good time. Your rods especially don't like it.

yeah i thought about that. fortunately the one im doing it to is a garaged car brought out on the occasional weekend for a car show or a litlle track time. i like being the only space ship around here lol.

thanks for the comments...i really hope it turns out as cool as i vision it.

do you envision it like this?

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/P1010004.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/P1010003.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/P1010005.JPG

http://www.fileden.com/files/2007/2/3/727626/IMG00878.jpg

yeah, but a single 3" straight tip on the front passenger fender even with the side-skirt.

pretty much an open downpipe, but since we have emissions, a "test pipe" welded in somewhere....

the more ive looked at it though, im thinking im going to have to go under the frame where the bend is still high for clearence on the road. i dont think its going to look as good this way so the plan might go out the window.

im going to tac weld a small piece of pipe to see what it would look like just coming out under the fender.

if it doesnt seem to look well, then i might have to steal your look lol.

Edited by Boosted_Widebody

its going to happen, but I did mine right, it'll only take a couple fires on the freeway(been there done that), getting pulled over for suspected drunk driving when it's really CO2 poisoning (haven't been there haven't done that) and the realization that you have to cut some pretty big holes in your car for people to not want to get me involved in this one.

Boosted_Widebody, I have dual 3" and I kind of wish I went bigger, a single 3" will look somewhat under achieving.

its going to happen, but I did mine right, it'll only take a couple fires on the freeway(been there done that), getting pulled over for suspected drunk driving when it's really CO2 poisoning (haven't been there haven't done that) and the realization that you have to cut some pretty big holes in your car for people to not want to get me involved in this one.

Boosted_Widebody, I have dual 3" and I kind of wish I went bigger, a single 3" will look somewhat under achieving.

What does your car look like on the inside in the rear compartment? Did you have to carve up the rear passenger area to get your exhaust to exit there?

mistapickles i didnt know you got that idea into a somewhat finished product, looks pretty good.

Thanks, I have it most of the way done. I have no muffler, but about 30" of resonator, so it sounds like a big dog, really deep idle and roars with WOT. It's 3" from the down pipe back, when I get my 17c I'll make the 3" down pipe and see what it really has. Right now I have a blown 16g, but with my exhaust like this it spools instantly and feels like it isn't blown, so when I get the 17c I think it's rocket ship time.