valvetrain rattle

marty

hi, i couldn't find a topic like this when i searched. my '87 tsi has a brief rattle sound i believe from under the valve cover when i hit approx. 3000 rpm, for a second, then disappears. it will do this every time, rattle for a second or two, than disappear. i don't think its a bearing, because it is not constant. i looked under the valve cover, nothing appears loose or out of order. it still has the jet valves. sticky lifter perhaps? i appreciate any input, thanks

or rattling balance shaft bearing, the rear upper is usually the first to go. if that's the noise, get ready to eliminate them before that bearing goes and the shaft locks up and snaps your chain and it drives the oil pump

or rattling balance shaft bearing, the rear upper is usually the first to go. if that's the noise, get ready to eliminate them before that bearing goes and the shaft locks up and snaps your chain and it drives the oil pump

Always the optimist aren't we Indy? :D

I don't think it's a sticky lifter. It could very well be some timing component though.

Rather than have to post twice and not knowing if that motor have shafts or not and knowing what they sound like...

Lifters come and go if they are dirty and you have to clean them.

if the pickup tube is sucking air from the last guy and he did a bsek

I can't post 50 answers but if a noise is heard on a motor you know nothing about I think a warning about shafts is a good thing so they don't ignore the noise as a valve train noise and keep driving because you know what happens

Shaft bearings that are going out only rattle at higher rpms, the more worn they are the lower the rpms they start to rattle. When they bang around in the sloppy bearing then they are thrown to the outer side because the shaft has a heavy side and it will follow along the outside and they don't make noise when they do that so it seems to stop. They are quiet, hit a certain rpms and rattle, rpms increase then they are quiet again.

I didn't say the head had cracks started in it but they are if that's a stock head or how the block is low in the middle and the chain guides are hard as a rock and pieces are chipping off and get pumped through the motor or valve seals need replaced and his separator is plugged up and his PCV valve needs checked or that he has the wrong spark plugs and that's just the beginning.

just trying to save a motor so someone doesn't ignore noises and keep on beating on the car

Edited by Indiana

Rather than have to post twice and not knowing if that motor have shafts or not and knowing what they sound like...

Lifters come and go if they are dirty and you have to clean them.

if the pickup tube is sucking air from the last guy and he did a bsek

I can't post 50 answers but if a noise is heard on a motor you know nothing about I think a warning about shafts is a good thing so they don't ignore the noise as a valve train noise and keep driving because you know what happens

Shaft bearings that are going out only rattle at higher rpms, the more worn they are the lower the rpms they start to rattle. When they bang around in the sloppy bearing then they are thrown to the outer side because the shaft has a heavy side and it will follow along the outside and they don't make noise when they do that so it seems to stop. They are quiet, hit a certain rpms and rattle, rpms increase then they are quiet again.

I didn't say the head had cracks started in it but they are if that's a stock head or how the block is low in the middle and the chain guides are hard as a rock and pieces are chipping off and get pumped through the motor or valve seals need replaced and his separator is plugged up and his PCV valve needs checked or that he has the wrong spark plugs and that's just the beginning.

just trying to save a motor so someone doesn't ignore noises and keep on beating on the car

the motor does still have the balance shafts. i will search for a post on how to do the bsek, & thank you for the responses