GETING OIL IN MY INTERCOOLER

Hello Im Loony

Hello ppl im tryn to figure out how to fix my problem on my 87 conquest,for4 some wierd reason im getin oil to my intercooler and throtl body and i cant figure out y, i thought my seals went out on my turbo but i got another turbo but the oil was still going to my intercooler and throtl body i checked my compresion and it is 120 firm on all cylinders i dont know what it culd be,the car runs good but as soon i start boostin the car falls on its head :excl:

Was the second turbo new or used? Cause that really sounds like bad seals. Whats your oil press gauge saying? I know with too high of oil pressure will send oil past the seals. Also check your return line and make sure its not clogged up with anything or has a kink in it. If oil cant leave the turbo, guess where it goes.

Mike

Was the second turbo new or used? Cause that really sounds like bad seals. Whats your oil press gauge saying? I know with too high of oil pressure will send oil past the seals. Also check your return line and make sure its not clogged up with anything or has a kink in it. If oil cant leave the turbo, guess where it goes.

Mike

THE SECOND TURBO WAS USED AS WELL BUT MY OIL PRESSURE GAUGE DOES NOT READ ANYTHING SO I DONT KNOW HOW MUCH PRESSURE I HAVE IN MY CAR.BY ANY CHANCE DO YOU KNOW HOW TO WERE I CAN CHECK TO FIX MY OIL PRESSURE GAUGE TO WORKS.AND THX FOR ALL YOUR HELP. :lol:

Edited by I HATE MY CONQUEST

The factory guages blow. They plug into the oil sending unit. Its a small canister looking thing right by the oil filter. There is a harness that connects to it, if it is connected, take it off and clean it up a bit. If it still doesnt work, get an aftermarket mechanical one.Either way, Id reccomend getting an aftermarket gauge though. Also be sure to check the return line. As stated before, if oil cant leave the turbo, it will back up and blow past the seals.

ps, stop using caps, it looks like yelling :lol:

Edited by MiniSRT4

yeah I would get fixed ASAP. Your prolly sucking oil in through the intake some how.

I have never heard of geting oil through my intake because i have never heard of that but is it posibl.Do you recomend me to fix my oil pressure gauge first before anything, :o

Make sure to rinse out the IC and all the plumbing too

when i switched my turbo i had cleaned out all the piping,inter cooler then i reinstalled my 2cd turbo and it still through oil.And everytime im boosting and i realease the gas my blowoff valve throughs oil and i cant find the problem :(

The factory guages blow. They plug into the oil sending unit. Its a small canister looking thing right by the oil filter. There is a harness that connects to it, if it is connected, take it off and clean it up a bit. If it still doesnt work, get an aftermarket mechanical one.Either way, Id reccomend getting an aftermarket gauge though. Also be sure to check the return line. As stated before, if oil cant leave the turbo, it will back up and blow past the seals.

ps, stop using caps, it looks like yelling :lol:

Ok i will check if i can fix my oil pressure gauge and i will also check my return lines if they are cloged up and thx for all your help PS:I will stop using CAPS :blink:

If you replace the MITSU OEM oil pressure sender with an aftermarket one, it's not just simply screw out the old one and screw in the new aftermarket one.

The Mitsu sensor has British male threads which screw into British female threads on the oil filter adapter bracket.

The after market oil pressure sensor has American NPT threads. While close the threads do not exactly match the British and as a result you won't be able to screw in the new sensor as far as the OEM one. Which to me, is just asking ofor trouble.

The ideal way to adapt the oil filter adapter is to retap the female threads, which requires removing it. There just ain't enough room in that area next to the engine to re-tap it in place w/o a good chance of screwing it up.

If you remove the oil filter adapter to tap it out, you should replace it's o-rings for it's mating surface to the block. You can get the o-rings from DAD.

To me, it's much less of a PITA to simply install an OEM oil pressure sender than go thru the BS I noted above for installing a aftermarket one.

It's much easier to simply replace like (OEM)for like (OEM).

BTW - Whatever you choose to do, don't forget to correctly install teflon tape on the male threads of the oil pressure sender before installing it.

For What It's Worth.

KEN

Edited by Starfighterpilot

Even if your turbo seal was leaking you would barely see any difference in the oil pressure read at whatever guage, dash or a mechanical one read from the block; unless you have a catastrophic oil seal failure.

When you first start the engine when it's been sitting over night do you get a brief puffing of blue smoke out of the tail pipe? If so, it could be the valve seals, valve guides or the turbo oil seal. If you don't get the blue smoke then I would not worry about the oil inside the intercooler tubing, but I would take the tubing out and clean it IAW the below.

If I was in your situation, I would remove all of the intercooler tubing (metal and hose) and douch the insides down with mineral oil. I'd also do the same thing to the turbo suction accordian hose, and remove and douch down the internals of the intercooler too (i'd add two quarts to the intercooler). After that I REALLY move and juggle around the intercooler while it has the mineral oil in it for at least 15 minutes (so you break down the oil in it). Then I'd throughly rinse out the mineral oil from the tubing, hoses and intercooler with liquid dishwater soapy water. After that blow 'em out with high pressure, high volumne air. After everthing is throughly dry I'd reinstall all of that stuff.

Then I'd take your Lady out on the freeway for about 1/2 to an hour and then let the turbo cool down at idle and then shut her off.

Let the turbo cool down until you can work on it and remove the turbo outlet to intercooler hose and see if there is any oil inside the hose. If the isn't any Great! The oil that you originally saw was only the residual oil in the tubing from the old turbo. If it has oil inside the tubing then there definitely is oil coming in somewhere. Then you remove the accordian hose.

Remove the turbo suction accordian hose and see if there is any oil in it. None Great! If there is it can only be coming from the engine oil separator system. There have been NUMEROUS VM posts about problems with that system recently.

However, if there isn't oil in the accordian hose, let your lady sit over night with the accordian hose disconnected. The next day, look in the turbo compressor wheel volute cavity on the bottom to see if any oil has puddled in it. If so, you have a leaking/weeping turbo oil seal.

For What It's worth.

KEN

Even if your turbo seal was leaking you would barely see any difference in the oil pressure read at whatever guage, dash or a mechanical one read from the block; unless you have a catastrophic oil seal failure.

When you first start the engine when it's been sitting over night do you get a brief puffing of blue smoke out of the tail pipe? If so, it could be the valve seals, valve guides or the turbo oil seal. If you don't get the blue smoke then I would not worry about the oil inside the intercooler tubing, but I would take the tubing out and clean it IAW the below.

If I was in your situation, I would remove all of the intercooler tubing (metal and hose) and douch the insides down with mineral oil. I'd also do the same thing to the turbo suction accordian hose, and remove and douch down the internals of the intercooler too (i'd add two quarts to the intercooler). After that I REALLY move and juggle around the intercooler while it has the mineral oil in it for at least 15 minutes (so you break down the oil in it). Then I'd throughly rinse out the mineral oil from the tubing, hoses and intercooler with liquid dishwater soapy water. After that blow 'em out with high pressure, high volumne air. After everthing is throughly dry I'd reinstall all of that stuff.

Then I'd take your Lady out on the freeway for about 1/2 to an hour and then let the turbo cool down at idle and then shut her off.

Let the turbo cool down until you can work on it and remove the turbo outlet to intercooler hose and see if there is any oil inside the hose. If the isn't any Great! The oil that you originally saw was only the residual oil in the tubing from the old turbo. If it has oil inside the tubing then there definitely is oil coming in somewhere. Then you remove the accordian hose.

Remove the turbo suction accordian hose and see if there is any oil in it. None Great! If there is it can only be coming from the engine oil separator system. There have been NUMEROUS VM posts about problems with that system recently.

However, if there isn't oil in the accordian hose, let your lady sit over night with the accordian hose disconnected. The next day, look in the turbo compressor wheel volute cavity on the bottom to see if any oil has puddled in it. If so, you have a leaking/weeping turbo oil seal.

For What It's worth.

KEN

Thx for the info but i have cleaned out my inter cooler all the hoses and im still geting alot of oil in my inter cooler and the line that goes to tb leaks oil everytime i take it off i dont know y it does that and my turbo boostes fine just can't figure out y it is. also the compresion is fine and it does not smoke when i start it,but it smokes when i start boosting or when i slam on the gas hard,wierdly it smokes only a couple of seconds and then it stops,but my valves are not bad because they dont leave any oil on my spark plugs and also my spark plugs are clean and as soon that i start boostin my car falls on her head,and also the rpm's lag to get up there and very slow when i start to boostin :P

Edited by I HATE MY CONQUEST

You have an oil separator?

Crankcase pressure can cause that front turbo seal to leak.

Broken rings or a hole in a piston down on the side can cause you to blow oil into the intake through the separator.

It always been this way or did you get it like this?

You have an oil separator?

Crankcase pressure can cause that front turbo seal to leak.

Broken rings or a hole in a piston down on the side can cause you to blow oil into the intake through the separator.

It always been this way or did you get it like this?

i got the car like that im pretty sure if it was my piston rings the car will smoke when i start it but it doesnt it only does it when i start boostin and when i let go of the gas it smokes then it stops,then my oil gets in my intercooler and everytime i take the turbo hoses they have alot of oil in them and drip alot of oil,also oil gets in my throtl body that y i think it falls on its head but im pretty sure its coming out of the turbo side not the intake tb side :(

If the separator system is there sounds like its failing, the PCV valve needs to be OEM not aftermarket and the hoses need to be clean and not mashed, the separator needs soaked and cleaned out. If you are not using an OEM PCV valve, that alone can cause the crankcase pressure to build up and push oil from the pan up the drain hose from the separator and when it fills up it pukes into the hose going to the turbo inlet and the turbo sucks it in and blows it into the plumbing. Does that sound like what is happening? If that system isn't there and someone plugged up the port on the back of the valve cover then that pressure is blowing oil past your turbo seal, valve seals (even if brand new) and it can blow out the dipstick too and make a mess. The oil separator can is attached to the air filter can

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/oilsep.gif

If the separator system is there sounds like its failing, the PCV valve needs to be OEM not aftermarket and the hoses need to be clean and not mashed, the separator needs soaked and cleaned out. If you are not using an OEM PCV valve, that alone can cause the crankcase pressure to build up and push oil from the pan up the drain hose from the separator and when it fills up it pukes into the hose going to the turbo inlet and the turbo sucks it in and blows it into the plumbing. Does that sound like what is happening? If that system isn't there and someone plugged up the port on the back of the valve cover then that pressure is blowing oil past your turbo seal, valve seals (even if brand new) and it can blow out the dipstick too and make a mess. The oil separator can is attached to the air filter can

http://www.b2600turbo.com/images/oilsep.gif

yea it was blowing my dip sticks as well from my block i just bought a pvc valve from autozone like a week ago and it sounds like thats what is happening to me what do you suggest me to do in that case i really apriciate your help :excl:

Put the old PCV valve back in if you have it or order one from your local dealer or "dad" on here sells them. The oil you see in your plumbing is just carried oil mist that hits corners and hard stops like the throttleplate it might not have the intercooler full of oil or anything like that in such short of time.

You can leave the boost low and just pull the hose from the rear of the valve cover off and let any additional pressure vent out including the oil mist in the mean time but it will be messy. The separator when working can draw pressure lower than atmospheric but not having one means that pressure is on the positive side and blowing out and it carries crap with it.

thx for ur help i apreciate it i dont have any more oil going thru my turbo seals i took off my oil seperator and left thr rear valve cover hose off and left it like that and it worked :) Edited by Hello Im Loony