Manual Steering Swap

I recently (yesterday) converted my car to Manual steering, for better feel and to eliminate the pump, lines, resovoir and leaks. And, my pump and steering box were whining and complaining, so they needed to go anyway. Steering box came from a 198X Dodge D50, 4x4 with a 2.6L. (Junkyard, If it's still there this weekend, I'll find the exact year)

This was a 90% bolt in swap. The steering shaft had to be extended about an inch and I used the power steering pitman arm. I used all the existing bolts.

If you are thinking about bashing this mod or starting a pros vs cons thread on the swap, you can keep it to yourself, this is to show where to get a steering box in the event that you want to do this swap. B)

http://i105.photobucket.com/albums/m205/danteinien/Untitled-15.jpg

Edited by BlackBII

The steering shaft had to be extended about an inch and I used the power steering pitman arm. I used all the existing bolts.

Can you please go into a little more detail? How did you extend your steering shaft and what do you mean you "used the power steering pitman arm"?

Is all that needs done is those 2 things.. and of course remove all the un-used lines?

i have been running manual steering for almost 2yrs on a direct bolt in setup i got from Professor Quest. no complaints, no problems......and NO my steering coupler isnt worn out, still in perfect condition.

link and more info please.

Can you please go into a little more detail? How did you extend your steering shaft and what do you mean you "used the power steering pitman arm"?

Is all that needs done is those 2 things.. and of course remove all the un-used lines?

I used the pitman arm from the power steering box, as the one that came on the manual box was angled differently. I cut the shaft and used some DOM tubing and welded it as a sleeve to extend it. But, there are a number of ways you go do it.

Yes, thats all that needed to be done, like I said, 90% bolt in.

Professor Quest used to offer a bolt in manual steering conversion, came with the box and shaft. I only had one dealing with him, and it was unpleasant, so I opted to do it myself. Not to mention it was 400$...I got the steering box from the junkyard for 40$

Edited by BlackBII

i have been running manual steering for almost 2yrs on a direct bolt in setup i got from Professor Quest. no complaints, no problems......and NO my steering coupler isnt worn out, still in perfect condition.

Know where I can pick up a new steering coupler?

Mine's worn out, even before the swap

Strike that, found one here:

http://www.enginemachineservice.com/conquest.html

Edited by BlackBII