Tach stopped working after taking coil off then putting back on

ahp171

Ok so I actually borrowed the coil from the Conquest for about 15 minutes yesterday to test if a coil on my old tractor had took a crap, which it did. Put the coil back on the quest, fired up, and everything was fine. Then I noticed the tach was not working, doh.

Is there supposed to be a wire that clips onto the prong coming off the positive on the coil (the side with the blue boot on it.) I have to just be missing something, tach worked absolutely fine until this.

From the negative side of the coil there should be a white wire that has a spade connector on the end. Make sure that is hooked up. That wire goes to the tach. It's real easy to pull it apart and not notice.

From the negative side of the coil there should be a white wire that has a spade connector on the end. Make sure that is hooked up. That wire goes to the tach. It's real easy to pull it apart and not notice.

Thank you for your advice.

Shelby thanks for trying to make me feel stupid but I was in a hurry, had post holes to dig with the tractor :)

Well I am not noticing this white wire anywhere, does it originate off the main harness somewhere or? The only wires I have going to the coil now are blue and blue/white and black and black/white.

There should be an oblong metal box near the coil. That is the tack wiring, one end goes to the main harness via a white plug, the other to the coil neg

This one?

Edited by ahp171

the tach signal comes off the neg terminal not posi

you guys with real short memorys need to write your self a note or draw a pic

I laughed at this. Pretty hard.

Reason was, we had this chick in auto shop class.....I saw her do a brake job on a LeBaron GTS in class by drawing a picture of each part as it came off, and numbering it so she could put it back right.

WE laugh, but that girl got excellent grades, and turned out to be a good wrench......I don't remember her cars coming back with stupid mistake issues.

Tim

Thank you for your advice.

Shelby thanks for trying to make me feel stupid but I was in a hurry, had post holes to dig with the tractor http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/public/style_emoticons/default/smile.gif

had no intentions of trying to make any one look any thing,, just makeing a point that 30 sec taken to look at the oreg set up can save hours later when trying to find out where the (4 ) wires actualy went

if it would have taken 2 min to scrible a small diagram,,how much quicker would the whole job have gone ,,get into a habit of doing this and you will not waste time but actualy save a lot of time

my coment was not direct'd at you alone but any one reading your thread that may need to start doing this in order to not get in the same situation