What is this loud Thunk in the rear end?

Wizard

Have a 88 conquest 5 spd. Car has 204,000 miles on it. Never replaced anything in the rear end except for brake pads. Yesterday I noticed when I put it in reverse you feel and hear a loud "thunk" as it feels like the whole rear is loose or something. It does this also when I am shifting and if I don't shift quick enough the momentum will make it when clutch is engaged then disengaged it thunks loudly and can really feel it like the whole rear is being lifted

up. If you do it slowly in reverse you can feel something being lifted or pushed down in the rear end. I put in new front and rear drive shaft (clusters cause I cannot remember correct name of them right now )and they have less than 3000 miles on them.

Could it be torn rear rubber mount? Can't get car on lift yet due to to many people using the lifts at local place I can get in at to use lift. Other jack being used right now at home to get under it to see what going on.

Wizard

mine has a bad thunk too. mine was the bushings between the torque tube and that cross member. i found some new bushings from a member here. but i haven't received them yet so i don't have any part numbers for you or other locations for them. Edited by wrngwae

Yep, that's what it is. Torn differential mount. Passenger side. About 20 minuites after I wrote this post I went over to the hobby shop and all 3 lifts were still occupied so I got a jack under the differential and lifted it up and there it was hanging seperated. You could see where the metal round post goes thru the center of diff mount. So guess when its on the ground it pops in and out of the rubber diff mount making the clunk.

Can you only order new OEM rubber rear diff mounts from enginemachine or can other polyurethane ones be bought from someone?

Wizard

in the group buy forum a new stedebani gp is being put togther,,,im still waiting on prices,for the poly mounts

im gonna call stedebani tomorrow morning,,,i hoping for a price sheet

Edited by quikconq

• 3 weeks later...
Dad is out of stock on these parts.,.....I need them too. any other ideas greatly appreciated. Also WIzard can you PLEASE post a pic of what the problem is as im experiencing the same issue and would like to know where to start. many thanks

NEVER EVER jack the car up by the differential because that's what tore the mounts apart. You must use the cross member. You may have one or both axles pulled out too. Forward power mashes them and that does nothing and they only fail if you jack up the car with them being the only thing holding the entire weight of the car. The differential will try and lift up if you downshift and use that for braking but its not going to tear apart good mounts and that's what brakes are for.

Dad has these in stock. He had 6 pair of em. I got one of them. His websited did say out of stock but he has some left and changed website. Anyone have any experience changing these out? I looked at it a little but didn't get into it yet or break out the manuals. Thanks Indy for the differential tip.

Wizard

Dad has these in stock. He had 6 pair of em. I got one of them. His websited did say out of stock but he has some left and changed website. Anyone have any experience changing these out? I looked at it a little but didn't get into it yet or break out the manuals. Thanks Indy for the differential tip.

Wizard

Just changed mine out yesterday....me and another member. All I can say is G/L, Definitely a 2 person job (in my opinion)

Hope u have a lot of GOOD tools too. Oh, and soak all the nuts w/WD40 (or similar) ahead of time.... Hopefully it goes smooth for ya!

G/L

Chad-

Damn chad ur killing my hopes and dreams man. I was planning to do this repair myself with my llimited tool selection. Looks like that won't be happening. How long did it take the two of you?

Yeah, did you do it on a lift or jack stands? I have access to both a lift and stands. How long did it take? There is a old thread of this in the suspension upgrades forums. Says you can do it without dropping tank but kinda harder.

Wizard

Hey wizard. Take pics when you do it... I will too. Maybe we can collaborate a how to guide for ppl with this prob in the future.. I'm sure it will come in handy eventually. I know the s.o.s's helped me a lot before they became extinct...lol

Took us a while..... Got the car on stands, took off (broke) the nuts, used the jack to lift the diff.....you'll have to put both of em in @ the same time (if u don't tear everything apart)

one guy guiding the studs, the other prying (whichever direction) and lowering the diff. One nut in particular was a problem for us...bottom ones just broke off, lol

Good Luck guys! :)

Chad-

Oh, and we didn't drop the tank or take apart the crossmember.... Make sure u have a "swivel extension" for ur ratchet!

Yeah, did you do it on a lift or jack stands? I have access to both a lift and stands. How long did it take? There is a old thread of this in the suspension upgrades forums. Says you can do it without dropping tank but kinda harder.

Wizard

Did my mounts in 2 hours and did not drop tank,just need a 14mm socket and swivel for the 2 lower bolts and i belive its a 16 or 17mm for the singal bolts up top not bad job at all.