benefits of a wideband vs narrow ?

cooljs78

Ok my 87 tsi is all stock except the injectors. I am planning to go with a non jet head. Arp studs, 16g turbo, gm mas, hard pipe kit with bov, just the basic set up not looking to do alot of boosting 10-15 psi max. Now my question is do I need a $200 wideband or will a narrow work just fine. What all does a wideband monitor on this kind of set up? thanks josh

Ok my 87 tsi is all stock except the injectors. I am planning to go with a non jet head. Arp studs, 16g turbo, gm mas, hard pipe kit with bov, just the basic set up not looking to do alot of boosting 10-15 psi max. Now my question is do I need a $200 wideband or will a narrow work just fine. What all does a wideband monitor on this kind of set up? thanks josh

I just want ya to know that trying to monitor with a narrow band is a waste of time and money.

If you are gonna run the GM mas... are you gonna run a translator too? if you plan on doing this I would suggest a Wideband to properly tune the MAF-T

I just want ya to know that trying to monitor with a narrow band is a waste of time and money.

If you are gonna run the GM mas... are you gonna run a translator too? if you plan on doing this I would suggest a Wideband to properly tune the MAF-T

yes gonna run a translator too

If you just want to make sure you aren't going to lean the car out, a narrow-band is fine. If you are want to have the ability to tune the car and optimize your modifications, the wide-band is the better choice.

JR

Edited by jolyrgr

One word, Accuracy

Like jahjah said the narrow band is really a waste of $$. It can only tell you rich or lean and you won't really have much idea how much you are either way. The wideband will give you a solid read out telling you exactly what your AFR is. In my opinion the wideband is an absolute necessity for an upgraded SQ or any other car for that matter.

Definitely have to agree with everyone! I've spent a lot of money on my GVR4 and the best purchase I've ever made was the wideband! Dyno's are expensive, so, for the $200 or so you spend on your wideband it gives you great peace of mind that your also protecting all of the other very expensive aftermarket items you've put on the car. Smart choice for sure :-)