charcoal canister

19cturbo

The charcoal canister serves as the "filter" for the gas tank. When gas vapors are formed and pressure builds in the tank, this pressure is allowed to release through the charcoal canister. However, the canister will trap and store the gas fumes until the next time the engine is ran. At that point a valve opens allowing the charcoal canister to be vented to the air intake of the engine. The engine consumes the gas fumes in an effort to eliminate the pollution caused by the gas vapors being released to the atmosphere.

Something you all should know. I recently took out this line from the engine bay to reduce clutter. and up by the wiper motor there is a check valve and it only works when vacuum from the engine is applied to the charcoal canister. I didn't understand why it wouldn't just let the pressure of the vapors flow as they wish, but it's probably an emissions thing.

Anyway, if you don't remove the check valve back there, the pressure has no way to escape. You may notice that you hear a whooshing sound when you open your filler cap if you have eliminated the charcoal canister, but not the check valve.

That's why there are the two vac lines running over there. One is for the vapors. IIRC, the other is for the 7/10psi wastegate solenoid on 88-89 cars.

I might be able to get a pic later, but for right now, it's an L shaped white plastic thing bolted to the firewall near where the ABS canister used to be, kind of under the wiper motor. Just follow that fuel vapor line back to it.

The solution is to remove that and maybe add vac hose so it doesn't vent right by the exhaust pipe.

Guess my check valve is broke? I've never noticed any fuel smell from my car and I've had that thing gone for 2 years at least now. I just left the hard line sit right where it was. One of these days I'll get around to cleaning that out but not today that's for sure. I've also never had any whoosh when I took the gas cap off. Meh no harm no foul right? I've got other issues that take precedence over that anyways to deal with first.