Flickering lights and electrical problems

wapmom

I have a strange issue with my 88 turbo. The lights on the dash along with the headlights all flicker when any kind of draw is put on the electrical system. I have been searching for a bad ground or a corroded connection in the car and have yet to find anything. The lights in the car just about shut off if i put the blower fan on high. Is there a weak link in these cars that i could check? This problem is effecting everything electrical in the car and im sure its hurting the performance. Maybe the fuel pump is losing pressure because of the lack of voltage to push the fuel. Also the amp gauge on the gauge cluster does not work. Any input would be great or if anyone has had simular problems. Now remember this is effecting EVERYTHING in the car. All the lights the power windows etc...

Thanks guys

check your alternator it might be high enough amps to handle what your pushing! do you have a kickin sound system in your 88?

vbrad hit the head on the nail. I found that the cause of most of my Starions electrical problems was corroded and pitted contacts in the ignition switch. Professor Quest shows you how to disassemble it and clean the contacts up in vbrads above link. It's well worth the 2 to 3 hours it takes to do this.

I gained about 1 1/2 Volts (under heavy electrical load) as read on the dash voltmeter after cleaning the ignition switch. Or read about 1/2 Volt less at the dash as read at the battery. ^_^ ;)

You might also consider running a parallel power line to the ignition switch from the line powering electrical connector A-34 (which is located under the battery tray) as mikec suggests. The power line going to the switch came from the factory slightly under sized (according to many Starquest knowledgible oldtimers) for the potential electrical loads that it could experience. I ran a AWG #10 wire size parallel line at the same time we cleaned up the ignition switch. Make sure that the connector A-34's male & female metal connectors are squeeky clean.

For What It's Worth

KEN

PS here is the post where I documented what Grant and I did to the ignition switch and running that parallel wire. It's the reply on page 2 of the below post.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=92298&hl=flasher&st=20

Edited by Starfighterpilot

I have a strange issue with my 88 turbo. The lights on the dash along with the headlights all flicker when any kind of draw is put on the electrical system. I have been searching for a bad ground or a corroded connection in the car and have yet to find anything. The lights in the car just about shut off if i put the blower fan on high. Is there a weak link in these cars that i could check? This problem is effecting everything electrical in the car and im sure its hurting the performance. Maybe the fuel pump is losing pressure because of the lack of voltage to push the fuel. Also the amp gauge on the gauge cluster does not work. Any input would be great or if anyone has had simular problems. Now remember this is effecting EVERYTHING in the car. All the lights the power windows etc...

Thanks guys

Are you sure that you have an amp guage?? To my knowledge the 88s used a voltmeter.

Just my $0.01.. ;)

Are you sure that you have an amp guage?? To my knowledge the 88s used a voltmeter.

Just my $0.01.. ;)

yes the voltmeter dosnt work. I will have the car in the garage on tuesday to tear into it. thanks guys. im going to try the ignition switch hint.