19lbs of boost uncommon?

Fullbore576

I recently did the 89 into 87 ECU swap and was happy with the results.

I'm pushing 19lbs of boost with great results.Is that about normal with

this type of mod?I'm running stock turbo with manual boost controller

and several other upgrades.It also has stock injectors and fuel pump.

What would be the next recommended step as far as performance.Turbo,fuel

pump and injectors?I am looking for a streetable,reliable car.Exhaust and

ignition system have been upgraded,steel headgasket etc.

Thanx,Fullbore

I am a little curious what everyone says is the max boost the stock injectors and fuel pump can push out on the little 12a

I have heard of people running 20lbs and i ran it a few times but i swear my plugs looked a little white.

aftermarket :D

no wideband which is why this is no longer going on and i guess im going to try and save my 12a for another 8 miles

I guess my question is about the stock system...what it can take.

I am thread jacking!!

I am a little curious what everyone says is the max boost the stock injectors and fuel pump can push out on the little 12a

I have heard of people running 20lbs and i ran it a few times but i swear my plugs looked a little white.

with the 12a, you should never run out of fuel with the stock pump and injectors (given they are in good working order), everyone you've heard of, has hit the "fuel cut", even the 88-89 ecu's have a limit to the maps programmed in.

BUT over 15 psi on the 12a, your "overrevving" the turbo, so it make a lot of heat, and is out of it's efficiency range. Yes, it still makes more power, but it's working hard, and will fail, maybe not right away, but it won't take long.

If you have the smaller diameter stock intercooler pipes and hoses that little turbo can keep up the higher pressure as long as you keep the oil CLEAN and it was a good turbo to begin with. The reason it works is you aren't fully using all the rpms. If you held the motor at the high rpms for a longer period of time, say more than 10seconds you should have some gauges. The temperatures will increase from the higher pressures and higher rpms and that's not good otherwise its sort of fun. Its fine to use going through the gears just at 4th or 5th the load on the engine even at lower rpms can still be there keeping the boost at high levels so use an air fuel guage but at least the rpms aren't there that require even more fuel so you are border line on your safety be careful and make sure your vacuum advance unit and knock sensor are working.

I didnt take into account the excessive wear on the 12a.What would be the next best turbo

to use that would bolt up to that manifold?I am running a mechanical boost gauge and A/F

ratio gauge.If I go to an upgraded turbo will it require bigger injectors and fuel pump?

No you shouldnt have to, the stock injectors can handle quite a bit. not sure about the fuel pump tho cuz i swapped that out with the quickness.

i ran a 12a at 15 lbs. , a dsm 16g at 15-18lbs, and a 17c at 15-18 lbs., with stock replacement injectors ( yes theyre new but they flow the same rate as the OE ones) with a Bosch high flow fuel pump. And these injectors never got over ran, the car was actually running rich, and still is sort of.

ohh yea, i was also using a 1g mass as well.

if you upgrade your turbo to a bigger one, i dont think youll have any problems if you keep it around 15 lbs.. This is all asuming that your engine and fuel system is in good shape.

Daniel

• 3 weeks later...