car seems to miss while cold and in boost

swifty

hello all, got some more problems with the recent 88 quest i got, fixed all the shakes and stuff, however when the car is cold well anything under normal temp, when you get in the boost it acts like it misses, but then if you let it go and warm up it is fine, note there is no thermostate in the car, gonna put it in next week. also i noticed one of my fuel injectors are leaking on the connector, should i change the seals, orings or what, any help would be greatly appriciated thanks

hello all, got some more problems with the recent 88 quest i got, fixed all the shakes and stuff, however when the car is cold well anything under normal temp, when you get in the boost it acts like it misses, but then if you let it go and warm up it is fine, note there is no thermostate in the car, gonna put it in next week. also i noticed one of my fuel injectors are leaking on the connector, should i change the seals, orings or what, any help would be greatly appriciated thanks

My car doesn't like boost when its cold either D:

Not sure if other people have that problem might just be starquest.

-Michael

^ what he said you car is staying in closed loop aka cold mode and will run rich until it reached normal running temps! this can lead to a number of problems, washing out cylinder rings contaminating oil with fuel bad gas mileage and poor performance deff put a new t-stat in there she'll run alot better!

No stat means it takes a little bit longer to warm up but after that it just gets hotter because the coolant can't stay in the radiator long enough to be cooled down. The thermostat is a heat regulator; it closes to slow or prevent flow through the radiator so it can cool down but when the temperature in the stat housing causes it to open it allows that cooled coolant to flow and cool the motor. If the stat is too low temp rating that won't necessarily make your car run cooler it may make it run hotter. That lower temp. say 160 now that's LESS than what the water heater may be set for in your home. Do you honestly think after a motor is running it will stay that cool unless you are haulin' arse down the highway with no boost? The radiator core you use plays a part in which stat you can use. The stock stat was 192 degrees. The ECU uses the CTS to tell that its warmed up so it starts to use the 02 to attempt to correct the air fuel ratio. The correction % it can do is very small don't expect a miracle. Just like you said, cold it runs worse well if its too cold the fuel mix won't burn as well as when its up at normal temperatures and that's about 190-200 degrees. What's the purpose of a choke on a carburetor? Less air meaning the mix needs to be more rich at lower coolant temps not to be confused with lower ambient air temperatures. Turbo cars with an intercooler love winter and humid days. The humidity on the surface of the intercooler allow a faster heat transfer and that incoming air is more dense than dry air. If the injectors are dirty they will dispense the wrong amount of fuel. Injectors can be cleaned and putting crap in your fuel tank to do that is a big waste of money. After the injectors are cleaned, the sensors are working, the vacuum advance is working and you have no air leaks the car will run like you expect it too. Just looking under the hood and pretending those injectors aren't dirty after 20+ years and they should have been clean 10 times already and haven't been cleaned ever won't solve the problem. Its less than 50.00 to clean them and you'll waste more than that in a couple tanks of premium fuel. Takes a day or two turn around. While those are sent off you can get the throttlebody rebuild kit and do that, get some plug wires if those look burned up and new plugs because fouled out plugs don't help at all and replace the crusty injectors clips if yours are dirty. Those connections must be clean and tight. If they are loose you might as well not even plug them in.

You shouldnt hit boost when the car is cold to begin with. I dont boost the car till the temp is above the 2nd line on the temp guage, even then I dont boost it much. My car really doesnt see boost till the oil temp goes up.