Best Wheel Paint?? what you think??

Jewels88

You can try going with a high temp paint. Im sure that will work good. Main thing is the prep you do to the wheels. I usually degrease the wheels then wet sand them a bit to give the paint something really nice to stick to. Then wipe the wheels down with something to make sure theres no finger prints or any sort of oils on the wheels, This should keep the wheels from " Fish Eying" Also remember while your painting to do a bunch of tack coats on top of each other. Last thing you want is any "Fish Eying" or runs.

Yeah, use a good high temp paint or one of those wheel coatings by VHT. Of course, you could also paint them with an automotive base/clear, but that would be a bit more expensive and require a compressor and spray gun and such. Of course, powdercoating would be the absolute best, and would pretty much last forever, but it would be costly too.

Here a chapter in my 21 chapter online body/paint/detailing/ manual. It's devoted strictly to wheel polishing and refinishing....

Chapter 16- Wheel polishing

Dupli-color has a real good high heat paint..Its the stuff that comes in the copper color cans i believe its 1200 degree? the silver cans are junk lol... i usually set the part in the sun or heat it up somehow first and spray light coats so it can bite into the metal. its pretty hard stuff to chip once its cured...

do it right, have the tires dismounted and send the wheels to a powdercoater the remount and balance after. it was $30 a rim to powdercoat my wheels. may cost a bit more for masking off labor for you. If you want to polish the lips do it and have them clear powdercoated. then you never have to polish them again and no touch ups and repainting like when the cheap spraybomb stuff chips and wears off.

BC_99

I know all of you are going to think I'm crazy...but...

I used Wal-Mart (color place $0.99) gloss black. Lay it on thick and flat, and they'll shine beautifully, be rock hard, and still clean up nice and shiny a year later. Hell...the wheels are shinier than the car.

I also painted my calipers with Wal-Mart red...still shiny and red, and thats after a year, and many many heat cycles.

Can't beat Wal-Mart paint, I don't care what anyone says. Crap sticks to anything, doesn't fisheye, and lasts forever.

Here's a close up :P

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/b.jpg

Edited by strang3majik

• 1 month later...

I know all of you are going to think I'm crazy...but...

I used Wal-Mart (color place $0.99) gloss black. Lay it on thick and flat, and they'll shine beautifully, be rock hard, and still clean up nice and shiny a year later. Hell...the wheels are shinier than the car.

I also painted my calipers with Wal-Mart red...still shiny and red, and thats after a year, and many many heat cycles.

Can't beat Wal-Mart paint, I don't care what anyone says. Crap sticks to anything, doesn't fisheye, and lasts forever.

Here's a close up :P

http://i620.photobucket.com/albums/tt282/strang3majik/b.jpg

That looks really good. yeah wlamart paint is cheap ill take your word for it :)