This is absolute crap

jahjah

So...

I install my new power steering line and go to crank the car but no start. look at my gauges and i have ZERO fuel pressure. 1/3 tank of gas, no leaks, pump runs. but its not sucking Gas. i didn't even freaking touch the fuel system!!!!!

THIS IS THE SAME PROBLEM I'VE HAD PREVIOUSLY. last time i solved it by removing the front filter. I have driven the car maybe 200 miles since then. couple times a week, but now i've got this problem again...

any ideas?

Edited by jahjah

You removed the front fuel filter? Possibly dirt got into the injectors and cloged them up.

I'm not creating fuel pressure, not having problems with my injectors firing

that is... my problem is not creating fuel pressure. i'm not having a Fuel injection problem

Edited by jahjah

Am I following you correctly here Jahjah? You removed a fuel filter vice replacing it? And when you removed this filter the car started running, which would indicate it was clogged, which would indicate a dirty tank or bad pre-filter or both, and you're surprised by the recurrence of the same issue?

Maybe its your regulator. Is there fuel flowing but no pressure? Maybe the gauge is wrong. You'll have to refresh the situation, what pump, regulator lines, filters etc you have. How much fuel is in the tank? Do you have a vented fuel cap if you have removed and plugged all the vapor canister lines?

did you try taking off the hi pressure line and putting it in a little bucket while jumping the fuel pump to see if there is fuel going to the fuel rail?

just something i would try if i didnt see any fuel pressure building up.

Daniel

Am I following you correctly here Jahjah? You removed a fuel filter vice replacing it? And when you removed this filter the car started running, which would indicate it was clogged, which would indicate a dirty tank or bad pre-filter or both, and you're surprised by the recurrence of the same issue?

I suppose some background info is needed.

Previous owner took the tank out and had it vatted professionally approx.... 2 years/1000 miles ago. New pump, hoses, and replaced factory fuel filter with a Summit Performance one which is what became clogged, or so i assume... The car started working when i removed the filter from the front. I replaced the In-tank and added a WIX. the tank is clean. and it has new fuel filters.

SO, in short, tank is clean and EVERY filter is new, and the pump is pulling ZERO pressure.

Maybe its your regulator. Is there fuel flowing but no pressure? Maybe the gauge is wrong. You'll have to refresh the situation, what pump, regulator lines, filters etc you have. How much fuel is in the tank? Do you have a vented fuel cap if you have removed and plugged all the vapor canister lines?

I have a Wix and i can see no fuel flowing through it. i installed a new hose thinking maybe the old hose had a crack.... but after running the pump a few times i removed the hose to discover it was freaking dry.

Currently running a Napa Brand pump(old pump was a Walbro that was doing the same problem), Running a Aeromotive regulator but i don't think its the problem because there is literally zero pressure. OEM in-tank, Wix 33278 inline and Summit 40mc inline filters. Tank has a 1/3. i believe i have a normal Fuel cap but yeah i'm pretty sure i've plugged any other lines.

Maybe check the pick up tube for a crack above the fuel level. You could also add more fuel and see if it starts to pump. Maybe pull the pickup and see if the fuel drains back out of the in tank filter. If they put a coating in the tank when they refurbed it maybe it is coming off and clogging the filter.

I'm sure all the above are possible - I'm curious about lack of venting on the tank but it's also been said thatthe high pressure line from the front filter to the TB can delaminate internally and cause weird flow issues. Are you saying there is no fuel at TB or just no pressure?

That pump isn't in the tank is it? Some pumps will just not prime and are better suited to be IN the tank. That is quite a distance to draw up fuel every time and without there being a check valve to prevent it from all going back in the tank every time it may be that pump is just burned out. The motor may turn but it may be turning too slowly or its worn out. You might try, if its not too much trouble, to put a T in the hose at the inlet of the pump and run a hose out the hatch area and put a cap on the end and use that to see if priming the pump will make it start pumping or just put a can in the hatch and let it draw from that and see if its an issue with the pump picking up fuel. You could also blow some LOW pressure air into the tank through that hose and see what you hear. I've not ever seen a pump that NAPA sold. From that old filter being clogged maybe that burnt the pump out.

Maybe check the pick up tube for a crack above the fuel level. You could also add more fuel and see if it starts to pump. Maybe pull the pickup and see if the fuel drains back out of the in tank filter. If they put a coating in the tank when they refurbed it maybe it is coming off and clogging the filter.

good idea. i'll pull all that stuff again.

Test the Fuel pump by putting power to the relay bypass . If it works I would check the fuel pump relay/main relay for problems.

Test Test Test..

The pump works, i have mine set to run when the car is in the on position, so it builds pressure before i crank. I listened yo and heard the pump running.

I'm sure all the above are possible - I'm curious about lack of venting on the tank but it's also been said thatthe high pressure line from the front filter to the TB can delaminate internally and cause weird flow issues. Are you saying there is no fuel at TB or just no pressure?

I'm actualy running a stainless braided line that is petrol rated and there is no pressure and no fuel at the TB.

That pump isn't in the tank is it? Some pumps will just not prime and are better suited to be IN the tank. That is quite a distance to draw up fuel every time and without there being a check valve to prevent it from all going back in the tank every time it may be that pump is just burned out. The motor may turn but it may be turning too slowly or its worn out. You might try, if its not too much trouble, to put a T in the hose at the inlet of the pump and run a hose out the hatch area and put a cap on the end and use that to see if priming the pump will make it start pumping or just put a can in the hatch and let it draw from that and see if its an issue with the pump picking up fuel. You could also blow some LOW pressure air into the tank through that hose and see what you hear. I've not ever seen a pump that NAPA sold. From that old filter being clogged maybe that burnt the pump out.

Yeah i'm pretty sure thats what killed the Walbro, the previous owner had ONLY the 40 micron filter that i'm assuming was clogged.

So ya think its possible that this generic pump doesnt have an internal check valve and is designed incorrectly?

Thanks for all the input guys.

I had an old stock replacement pump that had been used for a few thousand miles and then taken off, with both openings cappedand and was replaced. I tried it on my other quest years later and it wouldn't suck up hardly any fuel. It started to at first, than quit. You could see a small amount of fuel left in the filter and that's it. Sounds like maybe your pump is old or gummed up inside and not sucking enough maybe?

I had an old stock replacement pump that had been used for a few thousand miles and then taken off, with both openings cappedand and was replaced. I tried it on my other quest years later and it wouldn't suck up hardly any fuel. It started to at first, than quit. You could see a small amount of fuel left in the filter and that's it. Sounds like maybe your pump is old or gummed up inside and not sucking enough maybe?

God i hope not. but i'm keeping that in the back of my mind. I guess thats a good reason I bought one from my biggest non-toyota parts supplier. they said they'll keep swapping them out if they go bad.

UPDATE

No leaks in the tank or pick up lines and i removed the front filter to see if it would push fuel up there... and it won't

Is a fuel pump supposed to prime itself?

When a car shuts off should the pump keep gas in the line between it and the tank? or should it drain out and re prime itself everytime?

I was still using my dampner and my old pump just wouldn't suck enough fuel up to get it down the line. It whined and everything when on just like the stock one (no, I don't mean real loud-just so you know its powered on). Swapped the stock one back in and after crankig it over 2 times it started back up and was running. I now have a Napa high flow pump on there and it started up after 2 cranks also. Just had a bad, pump is all. Sounds like your issue JahJah

My dampner is missing the little screw in the end of it, but it still seems to function, or atleast isn't cutting into the fuel supply any.

Edited by pitboss

I was still using my dampner and my old pump just wouldn't suck enough fuel up to get it down the line. It whined and everything when on just like the stock one (no, I don't mean real loud-just so you know its powered on). Swapped the stock one back in and after crankig it over 2 times it started back up and was running. I now have a Napa high flow pump on there and it started up after 2 cranks also. Just had a bad, pump is all. Sounds like your issue JahJah

My dampner is missing the little screw in the end of it, but it still seems to function, or atleast isn't cutting into the fuel supply any.

yeah... i'm thinking the pump i got from Napa was bad and i've been fighting with it the whole time.... i'm gonna get a new one Monday :)