JDM 4D56T Diesel Transplant - RWD Tranny options

DPDISXR4Ti

I'm new here and admittedly not a Starion owner, but it seems this might be the best place for some answers to what I'm considering. To begin, I got interested in the Mitsu Astron platform because of it's use in TD form (4D55T) in the Ford Ranger ('85 - '87). A little research and I realized that the 2.3L 4D55T became the 2.5L 4D56T, which evolved considerably over it's long life. The final version even got Direct Injection.

My long term plan is to put a TD in this project:

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopi...9&start=165

The 4D56T would seem to fit this requirement very well, giving me some options on transmissions and oil pans and such, given that I might be able to use some ancillary stuff from the Starion.

Here's my questions...

What is the model name/number of the 5-speed used in the Starion, and did it change at all through the 7 year life of the car? What are the ratios? Generally speaking, how strong is this transmission?

The other approach I could take is to just use a T5 5-speed that I'm very familiar with, and have a bell adapter made. I saw mention of that in here, but no definitive info on it actually being done. Any details on that?

Appreciate any input...

I've thought about repowering a Starion with a 4d55 or 56 so I can help out a little bit. ;)

I think you should steer clear of the Starion gearbox. Not because it isn't strong enough, but because there isn't a sufficient over drive gear ratio. The cars came with a .85:1 overdrive which doesn't lead to good highway cruising with a diesel like that. With the 3.55 gears that the Starions have, engine RPMs at 75 mph are around 3000.

However, the Project Zero G site does detail the use of a rx-7 transmission that may work better as I think it has around a .75:1 over drive.

Or you could use the Starion automatic transmission which had a .75:1 over drive and should handle the power of a 4d56. I know stock cars had about 188 hp with the auto and held up fine under normal usage. Of course, it's the torque that really matters there.

I'm going to have a 3.27 rear-end, so the .85 O/D could very well be a good match. Ironically enough, the T5 I was thinking of building for this project was going to have .85 5th by choice. Of course, that it the nice thing about going with a T5, I've got a few choices on overall gearing, as well as just swapping out the O/D gear. If I didn't like the .85, I could bring it down to a .79 without too much effort.

Any way, regarding the bell pattern, have you confirmed that the 4D55 and 4D56 are wide-block patterns? Here's the details on that if you're not familiar....

http://projectzerog.com/transmissions.shtml

• 3 years later...

The Mitsu diesels are in fact all wideblocks. I recall seeing one bolted into a Montero locally, which had the KM132 trans [ours with a cable clutch]. If I recall correctly, the owner built it himself and was pushing a rather large amount of power through it, something like 400+ lb.ft.

I've forgotten a lot of the info I found on the diesel in Rangers [considered swapping one in place of the 4.0 V6 in my '92 for a rock crawler], but if you chase down what brand/model gearbox was used behind them, you may find a beefier, more torque-friendly 'box that can accept the same bellhousing.

• 3 months later...

Well, it's been the better part of forever since I first created this post. The project is now nearing completion - at least from a body construction standpoint - so I will soon turn my attention to drivetrains. No news to report there as it relates to the 4D56T, but here's what it could go in...

http://forum.merkurclub.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2639&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=540