Auto Trans question

I have a stock 88 starion ESiR with a auto Trans. The car runs great but won't shift I can do it manually but it won't shift on its own. Now I know they have a vacuum seloniod. But does it have a computer that shifts the Trans that I might have to replace?

Clogged up valvebody. Shifter has nothing to do with it, its either in drive or its not and the modulator changes how much pressure goes to keep the band tight around the drum so it doesn't slip too much. The fluid is all burned up, nobody likely ever chanced it, the cooler (POS) behind the airdam usually mashed so the tranny burns up. All that crap from overheated fluid and burnt up clutch and steels ends up inside the valvebody and it won't shift worth a damn. Rebuild it then it will be better than you could ever imagine and be twice times as strong as a stock manual tranny and you won't have to pay 400.00 for a clutch.

The shifter is in the correct position. And the fluid has been changed regularly until the guy I got it from let it sit. But I'm still going to drop the pan and see how it looks.. Before he let it sit a shop had told the guy it was a $500 peace that was messed up. That's what made me think these had a computer.

You want to look for AltoUSA friction clutches. If a distributor cant find them for you, call Alto directly.

Get this modulator(and only this modulator) when your ready for it.

http://www.transmissionpartsusa.com/Nissan_L3N71B_L4N71B_Turbo_modulator_1971_on_p/820-000082885.htm