Intercooling a Non Intercooled flatty!!

flatty86

I know I been posting a lot here lately but i'm doing so much to this car.. I looked all over this forum to see if anyone converted their flatty to intercolled....

What is the process and do I have to change out my turbo to accomplish this or modify the plumbing? If anyone can send me a link to a write up that would be great!!!

You guys have been a LOT of help with this car.

Does anybody know if I can use the same oil cooler lines that I currently have, once I add the TSI turbo? Or do i have to change the lines as well?

The oil supply and return lines to turbo will work. I'm prettty sure the oil cooler from a intercooled car will work. Only issue being the fitment of the line if they interfere with the i/c piping. Cant you just keep you current oil cooler?

Edited by JohnnyWadd

There is a guy I may be buying all the parts from....however I just got the car running and it need a lot of work... so my best bet is to get it running right first before intercooling it don't you think?

Sounds good. Intercooling it wont hurt though and its a good excuse to get under the hood you might find some vacum leaks while you there.

• 4 weeks later...

I did a post with lots of pictures when i did the conversion. I did all the stuff and as soon as i did i was having bad boost cut issues. I still have all the parts on my car but put it back to Non IC. Id sell you everything if you want with the note that one of the hoses for the IC from a fatty didnt fit since i mounted it at an angle and thats probably where the leak is. I cleaned the IC with MEK(nasty stuff) so it should be clean/no oil...

here is the post if you want to follow it.

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=76827&st=0

I did things a little different because i didnt want the IC hanging below the bumper.

its ok. its less hassle for me leaving it on the car. im 99% sure my issue is with the hose i used to go from the IC to the hardline through the core support. It was missing when i bought "all the IC piping" from another member years ago. I grabbed the closest thing i could at Advance Auto but it didnt line up and i think leaked. Also i mentioned a slight tear at the turbo which shouldnt matter as much since i was reading boost at the TB. I think the 84 EFI system was more sensitive than the 86 to overboost. If you change your mind let me know. I would do $100+ shipping if it helps you out. Its the turbo compressor housing, waste gate, my brackets for the IC, parts to move the oil cooler, IC and all the piping I have. The waste gate is an 88/89 3 port one because the bolt pattern of the Non IC wastegate doesnt fit. You could find a 86-87 IC waste gate thats single port or use the 7.5 or 10psi side of the 3 port.

Either way when i finally get around to building my motor im going to run nonIC cause i like how fast the boost builds. Mine will be a driver so it will be higher compression and stay lower boost to get the most bang down low. Not interested in High boost on this car anymore. im racing motorcycles and i have a new baby so i have even less time for this car than normal...

• Like 1