injector install question

on3 racing

ok stupid question. i put the injectors in and my car seems to run a little weird. the thing that got me the most worried is the car temp went to thermostate opening very fast. it did not over heat but usually the car never gets that hot on the way to work, this time of year. i pretty sure i have them in the right position ( secondary on pass side) and i know the clips are going to the proper side ( did one aqt a time) my questions is can putting the clips on upside down laed to a problem? i think i put them on upside down.

anyway any help would be apprieciated.

oh also the car seem to be a little hessitant, not so much boggy but like the car was not really making power.

Clips only go in one way, there is a notch to allow clearance. but if they could, they can be flipped, it doesnt matter.

Check your coolant.

Unless your old injectors were totally shot and the new ones work fine, that can cause your engine to run better and heat up faster?

Careful changing the injector plugs if you do as the regular BOSCH EV1 plugs that i grabbed at diyautotune fit too tight. Found out later these injectors we use don't fit those all too well and found someone selling better fitting plugs on here.

who would that be i was getting ready to hit the parts plus to pick some up.

Is your fuel level gauge working correctly? If it seems to be reading too high, that's your bug. The fuel gauge includes a mechanical voltage regulator function; that regulated voltage powers both the fuel gauge and the engine temp gauge. It's basically a self-resetting thermal circuit breaker:

battery voltage --> regulator --> fuel gauge & temp gauge --> ground.

The regulator is a thermal switch. When current flows through it, it heats up and flexes a bit... when it flexes enough, the electrical switch contacts open cutting off the current flow. This lets the regulator start cooling off and it "un-flexes" until the contacts close again. The output of the regulator is 12 volts, 0 volts, 12 volts, 0 volts, over and over. But the AVERAGE voltage is 6 volts. Why do this? When the alternator is charging the battery, the voltage can be anywhere from 12.5 to 14.something volts. That much variation would make the fuel and engine temp gauges even more inaccurate: they'd read too HIGH when the alternator voltage is high. The regulator function compensates. If the alternator voltage is more like 14 volts, the regulator spends more time "open" (0 volts output) than "closed" (14 volts output) to keep the average at 6 volts.

If the engine temp gauge seems to climb more quickly than normal, I'd suspect the regulator is stuck in the "closed" position... both the temp and fuel gauges will read about twice normal. If the temp gauge though skyrockets instantly just by turning the key ON (not starting the engine, when engine is stone cold) then you have a screw-up in the connectors that go to temp sensors on the engine or a bad temp sensor. The dash temp gauge connects to a sensor just BELOW the thermostat. You'll see a couple sensors in that area: the dash temp gauge sensor, a thermo-vacuum switching sensor (with 2 vac hoses), and a smaller electrical sensor switch ABOVE the thermostat (mounted to the "elbow" pipe). The ABOVE sensor is for the air conditioning system, not the dash temp gauge. Quick test: turn the key ON and when the temp gauge is climbing, unplug the electrical connector on the sensor BELOW the thermostat (the sensor in the intake manifold itself, not in the elbow). If the dash temp gauge drops the wiring is okay... likely the sensor is bad or the wrong type of sensor. If the dash gauge DOESN'T drop, then something is wired wrong or the wiring harness between the instrument panel and engine has a short. Typical screw-up: look at the intake manifold near the oil dipstick... you'll see another temp sensor there - pointing straight up. Unplug that one. If the dash temp gauge drops now, congratulations: your car had the common "oops": the connectors for the ECU coolant sensor (the one by the dipstick) and the dash sensor (under the thermostat) were backwards!

mike c.

the temp thing isnt happening anymore. i think it was running lean. i didnt have the vacumm on the fuel regulator very well. the car still runs like poop so im gonna install some injector pigtails tomorrow and hopefully that fixes the problems.