Using stock p. antenna with aftermarket radio

losisonq

Is it possible to use the stock power antenna with an aftermarket radio? I know most new head units use a blue wire for 12v out to the antenna but our cars antenna relay requires more than just 1 wire to operate. Is there a work-around or interface to allow it to work with just the one 12v signal wire? Thanks in advance.

i just put a toggle switch in so that i can put it up and down manualy. i cant remember which wire it is but u just connect it to a power source and it auto goes up all the way and when u cut the power it goes down. works nice

• 3 weeks later...

Is it possible to use the stock power antenna with an aftermarket radio? I know most new head units use a blue wire for 12v out to the antenna but our cars antenna relay requires more than just 1 wire to operate. Is there a work-around or interface to allow it to work with just the one 12v signal wire? Thanks in advance.

Hi,

Since no one really answered your question, hopefully you have found the answer by now. If not, here is the info that you were looking for:

Yes, an aftermarket radio will work with the OEM power antenna. To do so, wire the Blue wire on most aftermarket radios to the White/Black wire found on the smallest of the three stock radio connectors.

I'd recommend buying an adapter in order to mate the two harnesses, avoiding cutting the stock harness.

Rgds,

Jms

Yes, an aftermarket radio will work with the OEM power antenna. To do so, wire the Blue wire on most aftermarket radios to the White/Black wire found on the smallest of the three stock radio connectors.

For 87-later setups at least, I don't know about the earlier model year cars:

The physically smallest connector? That'd be the steering wheels control input; it doesn't have a white/black wire. It does have the fewest number of wires though (4). The smaller of the two connectors at the bottom of the stereo (the two "main connectors") has the correct white/black wire for the power antenna; it should be near the center of the 5 wires on this connector.

mike c.

p.s. the steering wheel controls connector looks larger on the factory service manual schematic diagrams... rather misleading. It's a small connector, about half an inch by half an inch. The smaller main connector with the power antenna wire is about half an inch by an inch in size.

p.s. the steering wheel controls connector looks larger on the factory service manual schematic diagrams... rather misleading. It's a small connector, about half an inch by half an inch. The smaller main connector with the power antenna wire is about half an inch by an inch in size.

I agree with you. Thanks for the correction.

Rgds,

Jms