Oil Leak, Can't Pin Point

QuestBYU

Ok so I just put the head back on my car, got everything up and running and it seems to be running great except for an oil leak somewhere off the back of the motor. I can't see well back there so I can't pinpoint it. I noticed drips of oil coming off the bottom of the bell housing so I tried tracing it back up. I could see the top of the bell housing was wet but can't get my head far enough back there to see where it's coming from. Any suggestions?? What is back there that could leak oil? I know of the valve cover and the head itself? If it's one of those, is there something I can do to better seal them? Thanks in advance.

If it is the rear cam seal your supposed to use sealant on the bottom half part of it I believe..

when i did mine i just put a thin layer of rtv around the whole thing. works fine

I put rtv on the valve cover gasket but forgot about the rear cam plug. I'll have to check that out tomorrow. Could it be anything else? Could torqueing the head wrong cause the head gasket not to seal right? Are there oil passages in the back of the block and head that could leak back there? Can I try re torqueing the head or will have to put a whole new head gasket on if I release the pressure? I just put it on and drove only down the block and back. So frustrating.

The radius of the valve cover doesn't match the cylinder head. What that means is if you push the valve cover gasket up into the groove and put the valve cover on the head is WILL leak just about every time. Pull it back off, pull the gasket out of the groove, clean it, put some sealant into the groove, barely push the gasket into the groove now put a thin layer on the outside of the gasket where it meets the head in that curve (just the curved portion). Put a drop of sealant into each corner of that rear cam tower cap. Put a layer across the front half moon cover. Put the valve cover back on, remember don't push the gasket up into the groove and as the bolts tighten the valve cover down it will push the gasket into the crack and what excess sealant is there squishes out, don't use allot just enough to do the job, leave it alone and let it dry don't try and smear it off. Before you put the bolts back into the rubber washers (especially if they are new) put some oil on the shoulder so they turn as they tighten down and mash the washer around the bolt. As they tighten down, place your finger in the gap between the valve cover and head and you'll feel it close that gap, stop tightening the bolt when it stops moving down otherwise you can crack the valve cover and sorry the whimpy torque spec for that isn't enough. It may end up being 20ftlbs depends on if the gasket is new, what brand is it, if the washers are new etc. You can see if this is your leak by wiping it off with a towel, run the motor and wipe again. You can also use a hand mirror and look. The oil runs down the back of the block and appears to come out from the transmission. It could also be the pan leaking but since you said you just put the head on that's likely what it is.