D50 distributor and coil wiring

BOOSTED88tsi

This is Scotty Dont posting on Jason's name and I know this is the BS forum but we need a quick response. We have a distributor with two wires a coil, a balast restistor, and a switched positive. How do we hook this thing up? A diagram we be great but not necessary. Remember this is on a fuel only ecu d50 with the stock harness gutted.

This is Scotty Dont posting on Jason's name and I know this is the BS forum but we need a quick response. We have a distributor with two wires a coil, a balast restistor, and a switched positive. How do we hook this thing up? A diagram we be great but not necessary. Remember this is on a fuel only ecu d50 with the stock harness gutted.

I've got a PDF of the 88 service manual, if that would help. What's your email? I can shoot it over.

it wires exactly like our stock coil, same colors and all. the 12vswitched goes into the ballast resistor and out to the coil positive. so the coil isnt seeing a full 12 v, more like 8v or so. the dist. just has two wires i think a blue and a black w/something stripe. blue to coil pos. etc. actually, im 99% sure you can leave out that ballast resistor.ive done it and not had a problem. not really even sure why they had it.

you wast'd your time,,the D50 vacuum adv unit will not retard under boost

also the igniter is not design'd to run a full 12 volts thru it , doing so will cause an early melt down by useing full 12 volts to it

the D50 igniter is diff from the one use'd in the caravans , the caravans did not use a ballist resistor and were the same pick up the quest use'd

sorry you can not just install a quest vac adv unit,,they connect to the stator differently

you wast'd your time,,the D50 vacuum adv unit will not retard under boost

also the igniter is not design'd to run a full 12 volts thru it , doing so will cause an early melt down by useing full 12 volts to it

the D50 igniter is diff from the one use'd in the caravans , the caravans did not use a ballist resistor and were the same pick up the quest use'd

sorry you can not just install a quest vac adv unit,,they connect to the stator differently

Welp sorry we didn't waste our time....a balast resistor has been install along with a blaster 2 coil. Jason did install the quest vacc advance and I will confirm that it is retarding tomorrow if not we have an extra starion distributor we can throw in. This isn't my first ms install...........:wub:

maybe you girls don't know the diff from a D50 dist and a caravan dist,,they are not the same , the only dist that uses a ballist resistor is the D50

and the only retardable vac advance is the one use'd in the quest dist

I still don't see what your getting at we are using a ballast resistor and we are using a starquest vacuum advance? :rolleyes::wacko::blink:<_<:huh:^_^-_-;)

Welp sorry we didn't waste our time....a balast resistor has been install along with a blaster 2 coil. Jason did install the quest vacc advance and I will confirm that it is retarding tomorrow if not we have an extra starion distributor we can throw in. This isn't my first ms install...........:wub:

So, can you confirm that you are indeed retarded? *giggles*