Turbo Clearance

Hey guys I recently bought a 12a and it had a TD05h exhaust wheel on it. Basically the exhaust wheel will not fit in a stock 12A exhaust housing so I need to bore the housing out. What I need to know is about what clearance should there be between the exhaust wheel and the housing?

The Machine shop Im taking the housing to, to bore it out wants to know the clearance they should leave between the 2

Thanks

Ciao

-Mario

If I remember right, I usually give the compressor wheel about .040-.060" total clearance based off measurements from a stock turbo.

Anything under .010 is going to touch for sure. With a bushing turbo, the shaft has a fair amount of wiggle room and it won't stay perfectly centered while spinning.

Edit: I tried looking for the old cnc file from when I did a compressor housing for a 14G, but I can't find it. I don't have a turbo readily available so I can't check clearances for sure.

Edited by Maxzillian

sorry i was off. i just went back to the machine shop that i did a test on and im sorry i had the wrong info. it should be 5-6 thousands within 1.5mm. like i said im very sorry about the wrong info and hope that the update is more informal...

So to put that into a range of measure, that'd be .054-.064" or 1.4-1.6mm. That sounds about right to me. Certainly follows with what I've measured on the compressor side of turbos.

• 1 month later...