fitting a 14b

Neckoslash

I'm in the process of fitting a 14b turbo to my quest and since I have never done this I had a couple of questions. I am using a 12a hot side and 14b compressor side.

What should the clearance be between the turbo fan and the exhaust side of the turbo? I see its pretty darn tight but I sort of need to get this right the first time.

Also I assume I am going to be using the 14b single vacuum wastegate as opposed to the 12a 3 vacuum? If not let me know. any other info you could give me on this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Also I assume I am going to be using the 14b single vacuum wastegate as opposed to the 12a 3 vacuum? If not let me know. any other info you could give me on this would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance.

Nick

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... It shouldn't matter which wastegate you use, as long as the both mount to your turbo correctly. Obviously each wastegate is going to have different tolerances which in return is going to affect how much boost you are going to spool before the wastegate releases the excess pressure. It shouldn't matter which one you use, but I would recommend using the wastegate that you previously were using within OEM specs of your car. Going outside those boost ranges can cause your car to potentally lean and start knocking (unless you have upgraded injectors and a piggy back system to tune... keep it OEM).

Let us know how the rest of that goes, I'm betting you will notice much better response.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong... It shouldn't matter which wastegate you use, as long as the both mount to your turbo correctly. Obviously each wastegate is going to have different tolerances which in return is going to affect how much boost you are going to spool before the wastegate releases the excess pressure. It shouldn't matter which one you use, but I would recommend using the wastegate that you previously were using within OEM specs of your car. Going outside those boost ranges can cause your car to potentally lean and start knocking (unless you have upgraded injectors and a piggy back system to tune... keep it OEM).

Let us know how the rest of that goes, I'm betting you will notice much better response.

Yeah ill let you know how it goes when I get the engine in, I remember Kelly doing a guide on this a long time back but I couldnt find it. I just found the exhaust half of the 14b so Im just going to give that to machine shop and tell him to hone out the 12a exhaust side to the same size.

Pitboss im doing this so I can still use the 12a downpipes and dont have fabricate anything with the exhaust. Hope that clears things up a little bit.

well, it IS possible, but it's not easy. If you could find someone that knows their stuff, you could cut off the wga bungs and weld them onto the 14b compressor housing with it reclocked into the right position (i.e. the same as the 12A's). Then youd have to get the J pipe and cut most of it off to fit a coupler onto it. I'm not sure I've ever seen anyone here offer to do this for folks though. Edited by pitboss

why not jsut make the adpter plate and down pipe and just clock the tubo I have done that trust me it is wroth the work cuz later if you want a bigger trubo like 16g,20g your allreally good to go making the plate is not hard or you can get one on ebay.

That's what I would do..

Edited by drity-b