DEAD for 8 years

johnnyRacer

My car has been stored for most of the last 8 years. I lost my storage for this car so I need to get her running again. First, the motor is seized. Seem to be seized at the bottom. All the bearings were installed upside down therefore, the crank was oil starved and locked up. When I dropped the pan I found thin aluminum foil like fragments in the pan and on the journals. This is what was left of the bearings. I'm thinking that I could just drop the trans and pull the crank and take the crank to the machinist. If everything checks out, buy a set of bearings and be done with it.

At an absolute minimum. Chances are some of the bearing debris got sucked into the engine oil and is now laying in the oil passages, waiting for fresh oil flow to push them into the other engine bearings.

Depending on how fast the engine and car were going when the crank siezed it's possible the bearing caps and/or block took an impulse load. That can crack them.

It's a big risk if you don't remove the engine and have the oil galleries properly cleaned. The oil pipes and the oil cooler also need to be flushed out.

Also, any gas in the tank, fuel lines, injectors, etc. is now varnish. In fact, that old stuff quite possibly has gummed up the injectors. They should be removed and cleaned professionally (and tested) before you use them on a fixed engine block... if they're gummed up, they might stick wide open, dumping too much gas into the engine... that gas will soak past the rings and end up in the engine oil, killing the new bearings.

mike c.

At an absolute minimum. Chances are some of the bearing debris got sucked into the engine oil and is now laying in the oil passages, waiting for fresh oil flow to push them into the other engine bearings.

Depending on how fast the engine and car were going when the crank siezed it's possible the bearing caps and/or block took an impulse load. That can crack them.

It's a big risk if you don't remove the engine and have the oil galleries properly cleaned. The oil pipes and the oil cooler also need to be flushed out.

Also, any gas in the tank, fuel lines, injectors, etc. is now varnish. In fact, that old stuff quite possibly has gummed up the injectors. They should be removed and cleaned professionally (and tested) before you use them on a fixed engine block... if they're gummed up, they might stick wide open, dumping too much gas into the engine... that gas will soak past the rings and end up in the engine oil, killing the new bearings.

mike c.

OKAY................................................Ok, I'm still in this. This will not discourage me. So now I need to start putting the original motor back together. All of this started originally anyway because the head gasket blew. When I replaced the head gasket my Green A$$ didn't take the head to the machinist. When I put the head back on it shouldn't have been no surprize when coolant was back in the combustion chamber during startup. I then bought a supposedly good low mileage used short block that I bolted a new marnel head to and this is the engine in the car now.

As far as the injectors its just two. I'll just send them in to rc engineering shouldn't be to expensive when the time come to actually fire it up. I just want it to run like it did originally, nothing fancy for now.