weird electrical problems

CForbzy13

I have run into a few problems with my 88 Starion. First one is when I go to turn the headlights on, they flip up but the lights do not come on. The fog lights also don't come on, however that is linked to the headlights, so I am thinking that maybe the switch has went bad which doesn't allow either to have power when I push the button. Does the switch have independent wires for the headlights to pop up and then come on?

Second issue is that, the car idles great in park and neutral but when i put it in gear to drive (automatic) it drops about 200 rpms and shakes the steering wheel some. When I take it out on the road everything runs and feels fine until I pull up to a red light were the power drains and begins to make the car shake like it does when you put it in gear. I have noticed that when I brake the amps drop down making the car do this. I am wondering is there a ground issue somewhere on the car that I am missing or something that I am unaware of.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these issues?........need some help, been trying to figure it out for quite awhile

Thanks

I have run into a few problems with my 88 Starion. First one is when I go to turn the headlights on, they flip up but the lights do not come on. The fog lights also don't come on, however that is linked to the headlights, so I am thinking that maybe the switch has went bad which doesn't allow either to have power when I push the button. Does the switch have independent wires for the headlights to pop up and then come on?

Second issue is that, the car idles great in park and neutral but when i put it in gear to drive (automatic) it drops about 200 rpms and shakes the steering wheel some. When I take it out on the road everything runs and feels fine until I pull up to a red light were the power drains and begins to make the car shake like it does when you put it in gear. I have noticed that when I brake the amps drop down making the car do this. I am wondering is there a ground issue somewhere on the car that I am missing or something that I am unaware of.

Does anyone have any thoughts on these issues?........need some help, been trying to figure it out for quite awhile

Thanks

I'm not sure on the headlight issue, but with regard to your second issue, have you checked your power brake booster unit? I have seen very similar issues caused by a vacuum leak in the booster unit. I had one where it almost felt like the car was going to stall out. Easy way to check is to step on the brake in park or neutral and hold the brake in, if you have a vacuum leak you should see some of the problems you are speaking of. If the leak is bad enough, you may be able to hear it. Just something that popped into my head when I read your post.

Problem one sounds like a bad fusible link for the headlight circuit, i had the same issue once before. Do yourself a favor and check and clean ALL of your links. Itll save you a bunch of hassle down the road.

Second problem is probable dirty/corroded grounds, battery cables, or weak alternator output. Check and clean all those connections thoroughly, and if that doesnt fix it take the car to autozone or a parts store that does free alternator and battery testing and make sure that everything checks out.