Will this alternator work?

rocheman1

When I got the car the guy gave me this alternator with it and said it was a 120 amp and could be used on the car. The serial is rubbed off but here are some pics.

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/rochemus/0622091946b.jpg

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e121/rochemus/0622091946c.jpg

Think it would work?

With some work, maybe. First, are the mounting ears spaced the same as the OEM alternator? If not, it can be a hassle to mount it.

Then you'll need to determine what the pinout is of the 3-pin connector and match it up to the 2-pins of the OEM cable.

Then you'll need some sort of insulating collar around those output studs - like the brown plastic on the OEM alternator. Those studs must not be allowed to touch the case of the alternator.

That is an externally cooled alternator - the gold fins on the outside. When the alt is mounted to the engine, does the V-belt pully line up or not? I wouldn't be surprised if the pully ends up too far forward due to that fan taking up space. You must not have the pullies mis-aligned; the v-belt will not stay on the car that way.

A lot of work.

mike c.

Yeah, I wouldn't trust that alternator because the isolators are missing. Like Mike C. says, those cannot touch the case. I believe they are installed from the inside too.

You would certainly need to fab a lower bracket to line the pulley up, and hope the fan will not hit the upper bracket.

This alternator will not work for the application, first I have been in the alternator reman. business for over 25 yrs. Let me tell you something about this alternator. It fits a 1985-87 Honda Prelude the alternator is only a 60 amp. unit. Also this alternator is externally regulated so you would need a regulator on the fire wall and change all of your wiring for the car.If the guy that gave you this alternator says it 120 amps. I think he misleed you? Also there is no insulator on the back of the battery post of the alternator and it would need to be fix.