any one know what this part is ??

HxC_zombie6

ok can any one tell me wt.... this is ??? and do i need it .. im doing a motor swap and i want to know if i need this to make the car work or if i can just get rid of it ?? oh and the only thing i can make out on it is says to carb and to A/C.. thank you

http://pic90.picturetrail.com/VOL2152/12219071/21731514/365947864.jpg

leave it untill you know as much about the car as the man that design'd and put it there

it's the fuel tank charcol canister vent system

so i need this lol ??? im putting an sr20det in my car

Read up on "evaporative emissions control systems."

It absorbes gas fumes from your gas tank as the gas evaporates. Otherwise pressure builds up in the tank. Some folks just remove the canister... and leave the hose open (or put a small filter on it) so gas fumes end up collecting around the car. Not the safest thing to do... Plus your gas will evaporate away with the car parked for a while; with the canister those fumes are collected and later fed back to the engine next time you drive.

Evaporative emissions system take 0 horsepower to operate; they were one of the very first smog devices mandated. Many states now do tests to verify this stuff exists and works during smog checks - they stuff a pressure hose into the gas filler and verify the system holds pressure/vacuum. ALL cars have some sort of evap system today, your engine swap doesn't mean this stuff is now useless.

mike c.