Engine swaps, 4G9, 4B1, thoughts?

Cobalt60

WOW! you are a Ford guy ,ucw458! my hat is off to you. Its funny aint it? they always say when you find something new, go back and see what the ancient greeks had to say about it. I guess its true, those pics are all 50 year old technology. but god are they beautiful >;o)

do you realize that you are producing the same horspower from a 4G63/4 Mits turbo engine at half the cost and wieght of that old V-8 technology?

It just goes to show what computers can do for engines. Imagine what you can do with old V8s and modern technology. That indy motor wasn't heavy. I haven't come across any weight specs but the engine was aluminum. And I wouldn't mind a cammer in my Galaxie.

I also posted those because most young guys I talk to think overhead cams are a recent developement. Just offering a little proof they aren't. In fact sherman tanks used a Ford modified version of a rolls royce V12 DOHC. The tank version was a V8.

But hey if you want some REAL power in your Starquest put this motor in

The Wartsila-Sulzer 12RTA96-C is the 12 cylinder version, it is available in 6 to 14 cylinder versions. This engine is a 2 stroke diesel. The 12 cylinder shown displaces 1,333,716 cubic inches and produces 93,360 horse- power at 102 rpm and approx 5.5 million foot pounds of torque.

The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.

http://i463.photobucket.com/albums/qq352/ucw458/Starquest%20saves/rta96c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I think there would be nothing cooler than modern economy/power/driveability...modern ecu reflashing has moved the stock ecu limitation pretty high. The only issues are cost and effort for the initial swap and wiring. I've personally done 530hp on a stock internals and ecu evo x. I'm certainly on this banwagon! :cheerleader:

Tony

Cool Ive still been thinking about this and also doing a lot of research. So, I'll share some more information I have found.

I never mentioned the 4G92, a 1.6L motor which had up to about 175hp naturally aspirated! Fitted with a turbo, I think this tiny motor may make an interesting swap. Furthermore, I wonder if parts (most probably head, and probably intake/TB) from this motor will fit on a 4G93T.

As for the 4g94 (2.0L) they are apparently fairly rare. However, I have heard quite a bit about possible 2.0L stroker kits for the 4G93. Probably very expensive, and the stroke will be pretty long for the bore, but hey at least it MAY be an option. And I assume its not IMPOSSIBLE to find a 4G94. But then I wonder if the head and turbo from a 4G93T would fit, or perhaps a head from a hi-po 4G92

Now, when I first started this thread, I for some reason thought that all 4G9 series were GDI. But, this isnt true. In fact, all of the high performance varieties use MPI. So, now I am curious as to what some of the advantages of a 4G9 are over a 4G6, aside from a better ECU.

But, I would also like to know how easy it would be to get some nice performance out of a GDI motor. GDI seems like it should be better in just about every way, including performance, but from the factory, GDI seems to have been used for mediocre performance. Oh, and so I also found out there is a GDI version of the 4G64, and IIRC it puts out some pretty good hp in NA variety.

And lastly, there is MIVEC. The 175hp 1.6L 4G92 uses it to achieve that much power. How well does MIVEC work in conjunction with turbocharging? Someone here stated it should be avoided due to the complexity of increasing performance. But hey, we should at least talk about it a little more.

Well I am glad there are others interested in doing a more modern Mitsu 4cyl swap.

-Chris P