Lets talk big turbos - need expert opinions

ok starion gurus, what is your opinon of a good turbo to go low 12s. thats 400+hp.

I am not talking a full on drag racing car but a good all around car. I know from experience that a T3/T4 similar to the sold at TEP is not big enough for the task (been there, done that). as for something too big, my friend has this S-trim TO4 but its too big for a full weight road racing. the T3/T4 i had, was similar in lag to the factory turbo and the S-trim has too much lag, awsome for drag but not for a daily driver. so the $1,000,000 question is:

whats a good turbo in between the those two.

here is the S-trim:

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/hugeturbo.jpg

If you go ball bearing and a nice exhaust header you can decrease lag time and still run a moderate sized turbo. I think a well matched t-60 would be about as big as I would want to run and still retain streetability. Mike K is putting together a T4 that should net some real nice numbers.  Also, not only will the exhaust manifold limit your performance with a big turbo but so will the intake, cam and flow characteristics of your head.  Bill_TSG ran low 12 with a TD05 20G.  Look at BMWtech's post in the BS section of his dyno run, that was with the 20G.  Pretty sure that will get you into the low 12's.

those are indeed very good number. i am surprised. not even looking at the max power, that setup is making very good power throughout the rpm range. me likes.

i would think that turbo is a little too small to work very well at 18psi. i think the optimum psi for a 20G is around 15psi. i wonder what they are using for intercooler.

I was running mine at 25psi till it puked.  The intercooler is an old HKS I/C.  I don't think its as tall as a stock unit but its much thicker and much more effiecent. that car is very well built.  What sort of intake will you be using?

ok starion gurus, what is your opinon of a good turbo to go low 12s. thats 400+hp.

I am not talking a full on drag racing car but a good all around car. I know from experience that a T3/T4 similar to the sold at TEP is not big enough for the task (been there, done that). as for something too big, my friend has this S-trim TO4 but its too big for a full weight road racing. the T3/T4 i had, was similar in lag to the factory turbo and the S-trim has too much lag, awsome for drag but not for a daily driver. so the $1,000,000 question is:

whats a good turbo in between the those two.

here is the S-trim:

http://home.earthlink.net/~artinist/images/hugeturbo.jpg

An S trim is the smallest TO4B wheel, It flows 507 cfms @ 15psi.  Will support up to ~350hp and that's pushing it.

Basically it flows as much as a standard 16G.

http://64.225.76.178/catalog/compmaps/Fig6.gif

If that S trim is too laggy it sounds like the turbine side A/R or trim wheel is too big.

The T3/T4 sold by TEP is a V trim on the cold side and flows 723 cfms so it is quite a bit bigger than the T4 you are refering to on the cold side.

Basically that TEP T3/T4 turbo would actually flow more than that T4 with an S trim.

What are the specs on that T4 turbo? Exhaust trim? Exhaust A/R? On center, split tang?

T04S ( T-58 ) .54 A/R divided housing, don't pay for ball bearing, that won't help the turbo spool in anything except a roll race (like... on the highway).  An equal length tubular header would make a difference in helping build boost, but the main thing is... get the smallest exhaust housing you can (the .54 a/r) and put a large wastegate on it to keep boost creep down....

When I was going to for maximum streetable HP I was going to use that turbo..... but I got to ride in my friends autocross prepped supra and now all I want to do is turn.

I had two of those on my 99 Dakota R/T........ damn... that thing pulled like hell (10 psi), sold it to some 18 year old punk and he totaled it the next day... ohh well, I am done mind wandering now... what I am getting to is, I can get that turbo for about $900, if you would like to know who to contact to get that price (retail is aobut $1500) just reply with your e-mail address and I will tell you where to go.

TS04 has much better flow without any more lag, also looks like a better flow chart.  you'll also have a longer lasting tubo with the TS04, won't have to run it as hard to make the HP level you want.

Looks like the T04E 57 and 60 trims both have hellacious compressor surge and don't flow the kind of air that a turbo with that surge level should.

its been a while since i saw my friends car. I need to go take a closer look and see exatly what that turbo is. i might just be getting his car. but i have a thing with external wastegates. I will most likely sell this big turbo and stainless steel headers and get something a little smaller with an internal gate for roadracing.

T04S ( T-58 ) .54 A/R divided housing, don't pay for ball bearing, that won't help the turbo spool in anything except a roll race (like... on the highway).  An equal length tubular header would make a difference in helping build boost, but the main thing is... get the smallest exhaust housing you can (the .54 a/r) and put a large wastegate on it to keep boost creep down....

If you run a split tang housing you can run a larger A/R and get away (lagwise) with the increase in A/R.

.58 is the smallest split tang and that's a turbonetics only part.

My choice was the .70 A/R split tang. My last ported TDO5 housing was in the .48 area and that wasn't cutting it.

That's as big as I will go on a car driven on the streets.