BSE mod.  Free if you have the stuff

Adi

For those looking into doing the BS removal....I found something works just as well as the bushing for the upper drivers side oil port plugging.

The Thrust plate (the part that actually bolts to the block with two screws).... Can be easily modded to stop all oil flow to that port.  Chip and I talked about plugging the port and decided very quickly no.....  

Take the thrust plate out and remove everything from it...the BS shaft and the front bushing...  Use  a 10/32 tap and tap out the hole...if you don't have anything that is 10/32 thread around buy a simple bolt and cut off the head or buy a 10/32 threaded rod.  easy to do.  Cut the blot to about 1/2" in length...I used tthe bolt cutters on a pair of el cheapo wire cutter/stripers my father in law had laying around.   It would be wise to use a hacksaw and cut a notch on he top for you to use to screw it in.  OR you can take the easy route and buy a set screw 10/32 which is allready cut to leangth and all probably at your nearby hardware store.  ...That's the easy part...You have to seal it...I did this to be safe anyways.  I used red loctite and coated the inside threads in the thrust plate and the self made set screw as well....threaded it in and installed the thrust plate back into posistion where the bushiong would normally go.  :)  Esy as hell took me and my father in law about 15 minutes and cost nothing.  Of course I had to do this because all I had was the chain and plug from another BS kit...  And the engine I took the kit from DID not have this bushing in it....It was a wonder it kept the oil pressure it did til it just quit.

:)

• 2 weeks later...
Take the thrust plate out and remove everything from it...the BS shaft and the front bushing:)

I don't follow? You cant remove the BS shaft by just pulling the side plate? The engine front cover has to come off?

You can also use any old BS upper bearing to block the oil. Just turn the bearing so the hole doesn't line up, and seal it in place.

Tim C.

Tim.  The engien is on a stand and when I did this it was completely torn down.  The thrust plate that teh upper shaft is inserted in is what you use....Check it out.

http://www.dandjproductions.com/questpictures/thrustplate.jpg

http://www.dandjproductions.com/questpictures/frontend.jpg

The engine today is completely assembled.  Fro teh most part.  Timing cover, oil pan are installed, I need the gasket for teh rear oil cover, and head bolt washers...teh head has dowel holes lined up seton and finget tight so when I go to rotate engien the head doesn't fall off ;).

LMAO...I can understand.  I'll probably have mine off again beginning 2004 when I plan on a bottom end build up....ARIAS pistons 9.1:1, all the goodies on the rods and crank...and a full balancing that it didn't get thios time cuase the 150 for balancing was out of price range at teh moment.

LMAO...I can understand.  I'll probably have mine off again beginning 2004 when I plan on a bottom end build up....ARIAS pistons 9.1:1, all the goodies on the rods and crank...and a full balancing that it didn't get thios time cuase the 150 for balancing was out of price range at teh moment.

Personal experiance....  9:0 to 1 is a bit high.  I was at 8.7 for a while and if I kept the boost to aobut 9-10 psi I was fine.  

8:0 to 1 IMHO is a much better and a good maximum for higher boost.

Kevin C