Turbo upgrade

makskylan

I see alot of turbos on Ebay that are 16g TD05H that are for the DSM cars. I have read that they can be modified to fit our cars. I know the compressor and exhaust housings will have to be bored out to fit the bigger wheels. My questions are what exactly has to be modified , what problems will the larger exhaust wheel cause in the td05 housing , and is it worth the effort ? I Have a full machine shop at work that I can use to do this myself. Thanks for any info.

The td05 exhaust wheel is just a tad bit smaller then the tdo5h and you can boar out your housing for it to fit, i as well as others have done it. A better option would be to use the tdo5h exhaust housing because it is a better design. You would have to port your manifold to match the housing, make a new down pipe and clock the turbo. Now to address the ebay turbos, they are Chinese knock offs, their integrity is debatable but the dsm guys have been running them for a while with good results.

I can buy a 14b DSM turbo for 75.00 complete all housings , lines , etc. It has been rebuilt a couple thousand miles ago. Would this be a better start and put a 16g wheel on it and have it balanced ?

my dsm friends have been bugin me to put a 16g on my quest as well, i have two 14b's siting at my place though, along the same lines of the original topic, what kind of performance/increased engine load am i looking at with a 14b(tdo5h) vs a 12a, and vs a 16g?

i don't want to put too much load on the hotside of the engine, and i want to autocross, but they seem so convinced a 16g is the answer lol, any opinions?

Unless your into fabrication and can do it yourself, you would be better off using a turbo designed for our car. You will spend a good deal of money paying someone to fab up a downpipe and at that point youll decide you want the whole exhast(which is a better first step than the turbo itslef).

Here are some turbos that are bolt on, ready to go(although a bit more than $75)

http://www.turbochargers.com/store/advance...ddcaf1acc337462