3000 gt motor??

I was kinda thinking about that, before the V-8 swap.  3000 GT VR-4 drivetrain in the Quest.  Twin turbo, AWD.  Fukit, go for it!  If it works I wanna see it.  LOL  That would be pretty sweet though.

i got a guy willing to sell me a jdm 3k complete motor with 3X,000k on it for 1,600$.. i bet i could get about 350-370 hp outa the stock motor and turbo's.. Im still thinking about it..a friend also suggested a supra motor.. we will see..wont be till the end of summer anywas.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't found the cons of my swap yet......... I removed my abs and chose not to run cruise control for simplification of wiring, but I could always put it back in, and there's plenty of room. I left the abs in until recently, when I just didn't want it there anymore. It really opened up the engine bay, just feels like a lot more space there. as far as weight, I weighed the car at 2840 lbs recently, so I am not thinking I put that much weight back in and the 4G63 can easily make 3-400 hp. the engines are cheaper, and more abundant.

of course I am slightly biased in my choice of engine, but I would say if you do the research you'll find it's with good reason.

I agree that the Eclipse motor is the more sensible choice, but I have to admit that a 3kgt powered StarQuest is very intriguing! hehe

Hey JD, did you run into any clearance problems near the firewall? I remember that being pretty much the only point of concern with the 4G63 swap.

I had a 93 celica with a 92 supra r engine in it.....3.0L twin turb...

That was a B***H...BUT FUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN when I got done.  Couple of mods and I was pushing 650+ hp 700+ torque....Had to completely cut out the wheel wells and fabricate new ones...cut and fabricate a new fire wall...mods under the dash...Then I had to fabricate a hood for the beast.  Took a factory celica hood to the local fiberglass shop with dimensions....it ended up raising the hood 5.5"  matched it by cutting the fenders and adding height to them to flatten it all out...Tranny wasn't that hard....mounts and a fabricated shifter to reach the right spot in the cab.  driveshaft was the easyiest thing...had to shorten supra drive shaft reinforce and re balance....had to make room for 355's in the back.  small cut into the wheel wells and another refab...

Total car cost including both the car's, parts, labor, of my self and those helping me...

totaled to like 87k...spensive but happening.  Paint ran us 5k .....jet black iridesence, no stickers or any thing.....no car marking.....

We took it out and grabbed EVERYone's eye....the sound was a complete feeling....I loved the feeling of all that import power under neth me....hehe ;) ..Took us like six months....but the car was still whole....we didn't remove really anything...all the seating and stuff....complete interior. complete engine.. with cruise and an add on ABS controller.  Computer was the expensive thing..I think that totaled like 10k...but it was cool...it was in the glove box.  Last time I ran it I think I weiged in at something like 2400 lbs.  663 hp 712 tourqe...hehe...I ran a 8.134@175.007

So ANYTHING CAN be done it is just a matter of time and money....OH I built this car in 94...Totaled in in 96 after two engine rebuilds....I was running a guy on the track and about 3/4 the way down he blew a right front..came over and hit me...at 150+ I did nothing but flip..I think they finally counted 11 flips and rolls.  They had to cut me out...I walked away with a FU**ED ankle and wrist on my right side...but a couple of surgurys and some re hab and I am fine..!!!..We sold the east coast's fastest near stock unbeaten import blueprints and design for like 35k.....so we definetly mad our money back....

Have fun I say GO FOR IT>>>>

The early Starions had 2.0 engines and had more torque

More torque then what?

If you're saying they had more torque then the 2.6, that's wrong. The reason Mitsu used the 2.6 in the US from the start instead of the 2.0 is because they knew the US market wanted more torque.

If you're saying that the 2.0 had more torque then some other engine, then just disregard this...... ;)

Also, I'd take an inline 6 any day over a v6 for inherent smoothness. I6's are naturally balanced, v6's are not.

And nobody was telling him not to do the swap, just research parts & prices first.

Metric-man: never said it can't be done, just offered my take on it, being that I have completed a swap on my car and based on experience, that's what you were looking for right, not just a bunch of people blowing smoke up your a**...... wasn't trying to be a jerk or discourage you from anything, just letting you know to be prepared to spend a LOT of money to go the 3kgt route. it's not a cheap engine, and the performance parts also are not cheap, as well as the fabrication required to make it work IN the car.

just trying to give you a heads up.

2.0 European engine;

161hp @ 5500

173lbs ft @ 3500

'83 2.6 US engine

145hp @ 5000

185lbs ft @ 2500

Now please explain your thoughts on why you feel the 2.0 has more torque and the 2.6 more hp.

Both engines became more powerful with development, but in later years when the 2.6 was intercooled and further developed, it made more hp and torque.

Also, the info I got about an I6 VS a v6 is from several sources, BMW, Toyota, many auto mags, Motorweek TV.

Yes, a v6 will give more room front to back, but less on either side. Boxer engines or "Flat" sixes are sweet, look at 911's and Subaru.

I'm not trying to be a smartass or anything, just curious how you arrive at your opinion.

The Mitsu. engine specs I got from the Brooklands book. It contains reprints of articles from magazines around the world, and I own 40+ brochures on Starions from the following countries; Japan, Australia, Germany, Great Britain, and the US.

Again, I'm not trying to argue.  :)

As far as 6's go, I was just talking about inherent balance, not ability to produce HP.

If anyone decides to do this, check out the 9b to 14b adapter plates from www.just-performance.com.  They are going to be a very cheap alternative to the normal expensive turbo replacement for these motors.  The 14b's are very abundant (stock first gen eclipse) and are going to make the cost of these puppies virtually pennies.  Just something to look into.  They will be done soon.  Even if you aren't going to be doing this, you might check out the site.  Lot of very interesting developements going on.

The 3000 GTVR-4 engine in a Starion is doable. I knew this Guy named Nelson, that did it and mated a 300ZX 5 speed to the back of it with some custom work. He claimed, that it didn't handle too well, but never really tried to combat the handling problem.

• 1 month later...

Well folks -

This this entire string has a lot of strange stuff, so here are some

things to consider.

Starquests are already a bit nose heavy.  So whatever you do if

it is to be driven on the street, it is best not to add weight to

the front.  Also, V8s are wide, they can be shoehorned in but

the weight and space problems leave them a marginal choise.

Most V6's are on a 60 degree V, so they are not as wide, but

DOHC heads tend to use up a lot of space.  The 3000 GT engines

are OK but they have an iron block and are a bit heavy.  Many of the

Nissan V6's are alloy blocks and are generally considered excellent engines.

Finding an 300Z V6 would be a better choice that the 3000GT unless

you want to keep it all Mitsu.  Also the Mitsu V6 was transverse mounted

in the 3000GT.

There are many other Japanese and Euro engines that can be used,

but most all are expensive to buy and expensive to modify.  

So since there are a lot of crazy ideas in the previous posts, here is another

one.  How about the 4.2 inline 6 from the Chevy Trailblazer/ GMC Envoy.

It is very compact for an inline 6 and it you move the radiator it will fit.

It has an alloy block and head so it is relatively light.

The automotive press raves about the engine in stock trim;

and there are several of the being run in desert racing,

dirt track etc. etc with good success ( some reported 400+hp without a turbo).  

I saw one win a stock car race on ESPN and it was rev'd so high it sounded like a chain saw. You can also use a Chevy tranny.

For me the conversion debate has com down to either a 4.3 chev V6 with a turbo,  or a 3 lt mit V6  with a blowthrough carb system.   While fuel injection is the best system,  it also is the hardest to switch for a conversion.  I found that the uses of a twin cam engine a waste of money as the power came be had by running more boost.  I have found out from several shop managers that the mit. engine seems to be the better of the breed as the cry. engine has morew problems with their heads.  Also with turbos you don't need high RPM's to produce the HP you want so dual overhead cams are not are not worth the extra money they cost.

Have fun

Mark T

I have heard that there is a problem with the intake when you mount the engine is mounted longitudely the throtle body points to the fire wall and it is really hard to hook it up.

BUT I STILL WANT TO TRY IT. ;D ;D