v-8 fun

rustrocket

Hey Rustrocket... I know it is tooo late... but WITH are you cutting up the car to put this motor in it? My SBC is in mine without any body mods except for the cross member.. All that cutting is gonna hurt the integrity of the car..I did some hammerings to fit the TH350 but no tunnel mods..Think before you cut and then find away without cutting it..

i did cut the tunnel to fit the super t-10 in the car but the car was eaten up with rust so i have been patching as much as i can. i also have a roll bar to help with chassis stiffnes and a little safety. th rest of the car is original but the wiring was awefull. this car kept breaking right before events so i thought it was a good way to make it more reliable.

which sbc did you use? i'm curious...would like to no more of the transmission also.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

nope, thats from awhile ago man!

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.p...=68047&st=0

check out that thread for more info!

pics look good . you have another engine to do work on to don't you? like maybe the one you got from me. all the bottom had been done on it before you got it.

first i would like to say thank you to mr. hibb for getting the pics up. now people can see what i am workin with. to the detractors i would say you must have never loved a car. if anyone saw my earlier posts with this 86 they will remember i blew the first motor up right before an autocross and the wiring went crazy right before the next. in a fit i pulled the motor,tranny, and wiring all from the car and swapped them for the motor you see here. all i can say is i will do what it takes.

i'll be posting more pics as i get the rack and other parts in. thanx again.

man your awesome.

epic win in the process.

seriously I wish I knew how to do what you are doing. I would so do it for a car I love. keep the pics coming in and a video at the end of her running around!

Guest Kenmarrow
i did cut the tunnel to fit the super t-10 in the car but the car was eaten up with rust so i have been patching as much as i can. i also have a roll bar to help with chassis stiffnes and a little safety. th rest of the car is original but the wiring was awefull. this car kept breaking right before events so i thought it was a good way to make it more reliable.

which sbc did you use? i'm curious...would like to no more of the transmission also.

I built a 350 Stroker, its about 383 CI. the TH350 Tranny was built for heavy duty street/strip use. Here's a little video remix I made of it. OH and check out the other video while your there..

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/Ke...nt=e3976196.pbr

I built a 350 Stroker, its about 383 CI. the TH350 Tranny was built for heavy duty street/strip use. Here's a little video remix I made of it. OH and check out the other video while your there..

http://s221.photobucket.com/albums/dd65/Ke...nt=e3976196.pbr

that was cool... i really like the lake pipes. they look right at home on the car. he motor build looked like fun too.

my car will be used for autocross and daily driven around town. if was to go draging i would most definatly go auto.

did you have any issue with ground clearance for the oil pan?

Guest Kenmarrow
that was cool... i really like the lake pipes. they look right at home on the car. he motor build looked like fun too.

my car will be used for autocross and daily driven around town. if was to go draging i would most definatly go auto.

did you have any issue with ground clearance for the oil pan?

I had issues on the first pan I built,, too low and found a bump in the road...so I built it better and now its no lower than the rest of undercarriage.. The pipes to side are lowest parts now, But i am thinkig on taking the side pipes off and putting duels under car but I will have to move the gas tank first.. rrrggg not what I really want to do.. well enjoy the build... it is worth the work.. Ken

I had issues on the first pan I built,, too low and found a bump in the road...so I built it better and now its no lower than the rest of undercarriage.. The pipes to side are lowest parts now, But i am thinkig on taking the side pipes off and putting duels under car but I will have to move the gas tank first.. rrrggg not what I really want to do.. well enjoy the build... it is worth the work.. Ken

thanx, that was going to be my next question....about the pipes being low. have you thought about a fuel cell for the car?

i agree this is a great project for me. not all like to do the work required to put one back together, but is well worth it in the end i believe.

do you still get the questions about what kind of car is that? i think it's funny.

will post again soon.

just laid the rack up in the engine bay and the cross member has to go under the knife again. clearance with both the motor mount and the member it's self.

time to get out the plasma again.

will have pics soon as i get started cutting.

Guest Kenmarrow
just laid the rack up in the engine bay and the cross member has to go under the knife again. clearance with both the motor mount and the member it's self.

time to get out the plasma again.

will have pics soon as i get started cutting.

Wow A plasma Cutter... hack saw and a metal cutoff wheel for side grinder here.. so you gonna use a rack steering... lmk how it works out... and keep some sort of list of materials.. I still have this 89 TSI that will just scream with a V8.... Pics are great... send some... Good luck Ken

• 3 weeks later...

sorry taking so long.....money and taxes taking there toll on the play money. as soon as the rack is put in i will post the pics. the material list will not be the same or everybody. the cross memeber is a shell of its former self already due to the oilpan location. this is also the reason for the steering swap to the front of the crossmember. thinking of refabing th whole crossmember. as i get a closer look at the work involved i will post again.

on another topic the workfront has started to warm up. business is still shakey but going the right direction.

• 3 weeks later...

This is going a bit off the subject here but what ga. sheet metal did you use for the floor and trans tunnel in the first few post?

goow work so far.Keep the pics coming.Glad to see another rust bucket saved.

This is going a bit off the subject here but what ga. sheet metal did you use for the floor and trans tunnel in the first few post?

goow work so far.Keep the pics coming.Glad to see another rust bucket saved.

i believe i was 16ga from lowe's. thanx for the cudos.

the work is nearing a new start. i am having to work 2 and a half hours from home for the next 4 months. the pay is good so had to do it. the fresh cash should put me to completion in the coming months.

stay tuned......thanx

adam

Thanks for the info.I got some exterior sheet metal coming from a donor but for the floor and rienforcement areas I wanted something heavier.I got some 20 ga.

My local Tractor supply has 12 x 18 inch sheets of 16ga gor about $10.That combined with the 20 and 22 I got will be way more than enough.

Thanks for the info.I got some exterior sheet metal coming from a donor but for the floor and rienforcement areas I wanted something heavier.I got some 20 ga.

My local Tractor supply has 12 x 18 inch sheets of 16ga gor about $10.That combined with the 20 and 22 I got will be way more than enough.

the floor already has structural channel under it so the only thing you need is the 16 ga. with some beads rolled in it. just make sure you are welding the edge to one of the channels underneith. i didnt know tractor supply had sheet metal. good luck.

That's what I was gonna do.pretty much copy what you did.Mine not that bad on driver side but pass side similar to what you driver side was.The rust I can't replace just gonna have so clean and treat.

That's what I was gonna do.pretty much copy what you did.Mine not that bad on driver side but pass side similar to what you driver side was.The rust I can't replace just gonna have so clean and treat.

that sounds like a good thing...that you didn't have as much rust. if someone is going to fall out through the floor it had better be the passenger. hehe.......we someone has to drive.

• 1 month later...
here are a couple pics taken of the rack as it goes into the car. had to modify previous work on cross member. the rack is from a mustang and does not fit in it's original orientation. so i rolled it forward 45 degrees to get around the motor mount

post-12741-1240622047_thumb.jpg

post-12741-1240622062_thumb.jpg

looks good man, so on your steering, is your rack going to be infront of the k member or behind? Also is the same flaming rive rack that your were using before?

i was originally going to use flaming river but got the power rack from a mustang instead(free). the rack is in front of the k member although it is not much of a k. the steering rods will go almost right up the drivers side frame rail to the column. pm me your e-mail address and i will send you more pics that better show what i did.

looks good man, so on your steering, is your rack going to be infront of the k member or behind? Also is the same flaming rive rack that your were using before?

hey i didn't e-mail you cause the address is wrong in some way pease send it again and i will e-mail pics. tried twice both times came back. :character0269:

hello all...i have noticed interest in the rack install. if i can help anyone just pm me your e-mail and i will send pics that you need.

i have been working long hours so if i don't get back right away please bear with me.

my jeep(85 CJ-7) is my work truck these past few weeks and has been on the fritz lately.......all new wheel bearings,new brakes,new rear axles,new starter, new solinoid(twice), and a neutral safety switch.i work about 60 hours a week right now so it's been crazy.did i mention i'm married.sorry got caried away.

hope all are doing well.

adam

• 1 month later...

well, been working alot and trying to work on the car at the same time and trying to keep up with friends. i guess something had to give. the wife and i are going separate ways. puts a damper on alot of things.........this project is not one of them. i will have to move and go to a lawyer to get things cleared up. the car is still a viable project and will be finnished. the timeline has been push a little but the car WILL be finnished.

for those thinking that i am a heartless fool, this break up has been a long time coming and i welcome the freedom as does the future ex. mrs. montgomery.

thanx for the support on the project and hope to be posting again soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry to hear about the divorce, man... been through it and no matter how you feel, it sucks.

Do what I did--bury yourself in the car. Very therapeutic. In my case, it was replacing a tired, knocking 400 with a fresh 440 Six Pack in a '72 Charger. I figured I was about a year from completing that project, but once she left I had it done in about 2 weeks. :) No, it was not nearly as involved as what you're doing but it kept me busy for a while and I felt a lot better driving a Six Pack Charger than I did an '89 Delta 88 sedan. :lol:

Good luck, rustrocket. Keep your chin up.