Grinding/ scraping noise =/

pwned

ok, got new front tires put on my car. and when i was driving off about 1km up the road i heard this loud clunk then a sound which sounded like something metal was dragging under my car, but it was coming from the front right... it goes away then come backs at random times, and the time span of which the sound occurs is never consistant.

i took it to a workshop to get it put up so we could check under and he said he couldnt see anything wrong with it from his visual observation.

so im thinking it might be a wheel bearing. but not 100% sure.

any info would be great.

take the wheels back off, remove the caliper from the spindle but leave the hose connected, remove the rotor and clean all the RUST off the back side of the rotor where it meets the hub, do the same on the hub. Originally there were keepers to keep the rotor from coming off the hub and that helped prevent the rust from falling into the crack between the rotor and the hub when the wheel was removed. What has happened likely is that rust has got into that crack now you put the wheel back on and the rust now has the rotor not correctly seated to the hub and it will eventually cause a wear pattern on the rotor that will feel like it is warped. Happens all the time, gets blamed on impact guns and can warp the rotor at the hub on thin cheap rotors. All you need to do is clean the crap from behind the rotor that fell into the gap after the wheel was removed.

The locks slid down over the stud and held the rotor onto the hub face so that wasn't to much of a problem but at this time most are missing. Its like a star washer and they just push on, easy to break when removing and never replaced. Some other makes of autos use a machine screw in the face of the rotor to keep them on the hub.

Its your pad or caliper scraping, does your brake pedal have a little pulsing in it now? Its just dirt under that hub.

umm well when ever it makes the noise, i can feel vibrations in my peddles.

it hardly ever makes the sound but ill try do this 2morrow and see how it goes!!

hopefully i dont stuff anything up!

thanks a million mate

I would check the obvious things first.

1: Brake pads.

2: Inspect the rotors (mentioned above) for signs of wear/scoring etc. Unlikely but it has happened before (Getting a stone in between the pads). IF push comes to shove, replacing the rotors isn't that big a deal and they are not terribly expensive.