302 engine swap questions

adamsdell

I have some questions for you guys that replaced the engine with a 302, did you guys have to fab up new motor mounts? Does anyone have the specs on them or is it something that I will have to do myself. I am thinking of doing this swap and need some info. Did you use any other parts of the donor car, radiator, exhaust manifolds, hoses, PS pump, AC compressor......

What other advise can you give me that I need before I start doing this. Looks like a big job ahead, so any help on this would be great.

I'm just starting my swap 302 ho maf efi motor and t5 trans. If your going to go carb and auto trans it should be easy. I bought a mustang that was hit pretty good and so far have next to nothing in my motor (at the machine shop) and trans due to parting out the car.

If you are going to go injected you should find a whole car just to get the wiring harness and ecu. Its eisier to mod a harness then to build one from scratch. Everyone seems to be running a front sump pan and It looks to clear the best. The clutch set up is a whole story itself I am planning on fabbing up something to use a stock slave if I can get enough throw.

A/C is not going to happen on my car and P/S I think is might end up with a truck pump just because I belive it to be a lower pressure then the rack pumps.

THis will be a vey drawn out project as far as mine goes just because I will be doing other things with the car at the same time. And as always spending the time to keep my g54b car on the road and reliable.

I have seen those links before, that is what got me to this point. I was wondering if I use the wiring harness and stuff from the donor car, what other things I will need to get the wiring done, like the speedo, tach, temp gauge and so on. I will be keeping the FI from the donor car and I have the wiring harness and all of the dash gauges and stuff pertaining to the engine, just needing a little more info on the actual wiring for all of the gauges and interior stuff. As a note, can I keep the stock exhaust manifolds, it looks like they are close to the block, hopefully they will clear the steering shaft, I haven't tested the fit yet, but maybe this weekend, I can lower the 5.0 into the car and see what I have so far.

using the stock guages will be an issue. wiring up the FI harness is easy. take lots of picture it look like you will be ahead of me due to my rebuilding my motor first. I'm planning on the stock headers for now.

im using the rack+pinion steering pump with no problems so far.ive used it on three different 5.0 swaps.the stock headers will get you by but youll have to flatten one of the tubes a little to clear the steering box.it wont be a problem for a stock engine.i slotted a hole in the factory engine stands to use replacement mounts for a 92 mustang gt.i just got a front sump oil pan on ebay.do you have a t-5 or auto?i put an aod in my first quest but had to remove the extra bracing in the tunnel to get it to clear.its spot welded in and really hard to get out.also had to use a porta power in a couple places for clearence.i tried the stock gages with no luck.i also tried the ford gages and making them fit but finally just got mad and bought autometer gages.my silver quest was hooked up on the stock gages but i really didnt trust them so they were replaced too.if you go that way itll cost about 480 bucks for the gages.i have the ford wiring diagram but dont really know how to send it.or post it.if anyone knows,please let me know and ill put it out there.my a/c bolted right up to the quest lines then i just gas it up.+run the wire for the a/c clutch,works perfect.if you can get the accessories from a 94-95 mustang youll save a couple inches in the front for the radiator but im sure the a/c wouldnt hook right up with that compressor.i did pick up a radiator from a early 90sexplorer that went in prettyy good one time but it wasnt very pretty.when you get the 5.0 in youll be very happy with the way it looks in there.but dont expect a big power gain over a stock quest with a stock 5.0.my stock 5.0 with an aod ran a 9.65 in the 1/8.carb would be faster though in stock form.

also craig is right about the pictures.theyll come in real handy when you cant remember what you did and where you did it.ive had to use mine for memory several times,but maybe im just gettin old.

Sounds like great advise. I wanted to use the stock gauges, but looks like that may be a problem. I will look around for some gauges after I get the motor in. I will take lots of pictures, cos I know that there are people thinking of doing this and they want to see everything that goes into it. I have a t5 and all that, the only thing I have to buy at the moment is a flywheel, since the motor is with an auto trans. If all goes well, I hope to have the motor sitting in the car, not getting ahead of myself. I dont want to get jinx'd before I get started, lol. I cant wait to get started, two more days......

if you get a chance you might check into the hydraulic throw out bearing.i think some of the ford trucks had them.that would save you room in the tunnel since you wouldnt have the clutch arm sticking out the side of the trans.some people dont like them because you have to pull the trans if it ever goes out but i think it would be faster than setting up a push or pull type slave cyl.im still having trouble getting enough throw on mine.

what i dont like about the hyd throwout is the factory usually used a propritory disconnect as far as gm goes and on the f150s like mine they have that plastic clutch line but I havent gotten that far to be able to say what the best course of action is yet.

I will have to see once I get into it. Is the Mitsu a push type, and the ford a pull type? I guess once I get into it I will see, and try to figure something out. I will be pulling the 302 out tomorrow, hopefully by tomorrow night. Then I will see what I have to work with. How far along are you guys with the swap? I have my camera all charged up, everything I take off will be photographed, even the electrical connections. What did you guys fab up for the engine mounts, I would love to see the different types that got used on something like this. Thanks guys.

Hey Tim, I just saw your install pictures, what a sweet looking engine. Do you have any more pics of the engine mount. I had seen another mount that had the engine farther ahead with some sort of bracket. I like the fact the you used the existing mounts, but I am not sure about the hole cut to get them in, it should be fine though. Let me know.

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t126/timtsi/

this is every pic i have of the black quest.I was a little worried about the slots in the stands too but ive driven it,launched as hard as the 245-50s will let me with no issues and this is with the turbo motor.i did use the biggest washers i could find for the back side.it wasnt my favorite way of doing it but it works.the t-5 right now is a cable type and the quest pedal is setup to push not pull.youll have to convert it.there are several diff. ways but the best ive found is a bracket on the t-5 to mount a push type slave.if you go that way youll have more work to do on the tunnel.if you just buy a setup its about 4 or 500 bucks

You actually get a lot for your money on that set up for under 450 its everything. I might try to do my own (because I'm cheap).

I know I can buil a similar bracket witha little fat removed. I looks like most of them are a little big for my taste to accomidate a spring when there are other ways to have the spring and a little more room in the trans tunnel.

Those look good, I will see what I can do, if I can make the starion work for me. I dont have that amount right now, but if I run inot problems , I guess I could. I have started another thread. I have just gotten my engine and have started taking out the motor. I have alot to do, so I just wanted to give you guys a heads up. Let me know what you think, since you have already been this route.

Thanks for the advise guys, hope I can have as much fun as you did, when you started yours.

• 3 months later...

HI thanks for the reply about the 5.0 cmoputer harness when you get the connections let me know also what did you do about the drive shaft u am trying to get it done befor I get tha motor back from the machine shop.

what u joints etc thanks wayne WAYNEWL34@YAHOO.COM