electric problemmmm

hi , i found 3 relais underneath my flowmeter and they are broken thy come from a cable they are round and have a ruuber around it maybee you know what they are am just tring to resolve a electric problem i have my headlights dont want to work ufffff its driving me crazy .. please helppppp

Clean all the fusable links first.

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1180

Then clean BOTH the headlight side and the hazard side switches;

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1044

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1045

You may have to register, but it's free and it'll walk you right through all the procedures, loaded with pics.

Covered relays under the air filter assembly are the headlight relays and the fog lamp relay.

No jury-rigging in this area - replace the damaged wires on the harness one by one, using solder joints (not crimp connectors) and wire to new relay contacts if your wiring harness is that messed up. Headlights take a lot of electrical current which means quality wire - and at least as thick as the original wires - plus solid connections are essential. ANY poor connection = resistance = dim headlights and a lot of heat at the bad connection leading to more burned wires again.

mike c.

Covered relays under the air filter assembly are the headlight relays and the fog lamp relay.

No jury-rigging in this area - replace the damaged wires on the harness one by one, using solder joints (not crimp connectors) and wire to new relay contacts if your wiring harness is that messed up. Headlights take a lot of electrical current which means quality wire - and at least as thick as the original wires - plus solid connections are essential. ANY poor connection = resistance = dim headlights and a lot of heat at the bad connection leading to more burned wires again.

mike c.

Sorry Mike, I just dealt with these relays so ..

Relays under aircan are 1 Primary fan, 1 Secondary fan 1 Fog Lamp relay. THey look idenical. The way I id'ed them was to ground the thermosensor wire (wire on the bottom of the radiator). I used a few alligator clips to ground them to the radiator (after that, turn the key to the on position). Then (With both fans running ) U can remove 1 relay at a time to ID them.

Headlight relays are near the battery, behind the plate with the fusible links. Usually the relays dont go bad, but there is also a ground on that side of the engine. LIke someone said, click in the link (in my sig) leading to professor quest's FAQ. Everything you need is either there or in the Factory service manual (that is on www.starquestgarage.com)

good luck

DC is right. I'm getting senile in my old age. Fan relay, not headlights, for the upper one. The lower one is the fog lamp relay. I lumped all three "light relays" together in the cobweb-filled attic for some reason.

mike c.