Rear end cluncks...

I just got this car and im working out all the bugs first, then modding the piss out of it.

when ever i accel or lift off the gas, i get this clunk sound from the rear end. I checked out the U joints and they seem to be ok, and i just rebuilt my CV shafts. Also changed the struts and springs.

If i lay under the car and grab the drive shaft to check how much play is in it, seems to move about an inch side to side, before it makes the tires move. Are my gears shot, or can this be fixed???

Also, im thinking about taking the torque tube bushings out and making them solid mounts, the rear end mounts are solid already. Good idea or bad?

The clunk sound was going on before i put the solid rear mounts in, and before i owned the car.

get up under the car and see if the the pumkin moves.

he already said that its mounted solid... that would make a huge clunk and jerk the entire car if them mounts werent intact anyway.. due to the torque lifting the rear diff up and dropping it etc...

i have the same clunking noise as he does..

I havent really checked it out at all..

I have a rebuild rear diff with 3.90s in it and have that clunk still.. mine too is mounted solid

I think theres some play in your torque tube..

Ill be taking my torque tube off and replacing it with a known good torque tube that i should have stuck on when i did the rear diff..

ill let you know how that goes when i get around to doing it..

The clunk is coming from the splined coupler in the torque tube. The one on the pinion gear is usually the one that wears first. It mates with the torque tube spline that appears to be made of harder steel than the mating coupler on the differential. Pull the torque tube and check the splines on the differential. They should have nice flat topped teeth. When they get to clunking, they are pointed and wornout. The last one I got from Mitsu was $26.

thats my next step, is pulling the torque tube and inspecting for anything out of the norm. Then i plan on replacing the worn out mounts for the tube with solid ones.

would it be the pinion bearing your talking about? is it pressed on?

The splined hub is bolted to the pinion. When you pull the turque tube, it will be sticking out from the front of the pinion. Fastens to the pinion with 1 big nut.

Check both differential mounts by applying leverage with a crowbar, etc. When my OEM mounts crapped out (several years ago) I replaced them with Stedebani polyurethane mounts.

thats my next step, is pulling the torque tube and inspecting for anything out of the norm. Then i plan on replacing the worn out mounts for the tube with solid ones.

would it be the pinion bearing your talking about? is it pressed on?

when you do the work would you mind posting some pics of what this looks like ?

Edited by silkdagger05

does anyone have the part number for the splined part that the torque tube connects to? i think i might want to replace mine when the i get another torque tube to go in it.
a few years ago there was only one set left the dealer could find, good luck

its called a spline coupling

MB290925