89 back to life

star72

have an 89 starion with a blown head gasket.

I am wanting to rebuild the engine and would like anyone's opinion/expertise/etc. I want to create as much horsepower with the stock motor if possible. I will be upgrading as much "bolt-on" pieces as possible but from everyones experience what would be the best set up to create at least 300 hp or even just a bit less without blowing up my budget. I've had some local input in starting off with a fuel management system (ideas on which kind).

Your comments will appreciated. thx. mike

• 2 weeks later...

Well you might try posting in the Virtual Mechanic section if you just want advice on engine building.

But I personally would recommend rebuilding the internals strong first, if you add lots of bolt on power your bound to end up needing a internal rebuild before too long, unless your stock block is in real good condition. How many miles does it have, had you done a compression test before head gasket blew?

But check out the HP club:

http://www.starquestclub.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8890

Alfonso G has a T3/T4 turbo on a stock block with a MPI system making 302HP, I'm sure many other upgrades also, probably a low mileage strong bottom end, but it shows it can be done.

But depending on the bottom end's strength, and your budget, I'd go ahead and freshen up the bottom end while doing a new head. And I wouldn't really do any fuel management unless your talking about a full MPI system. Along with a good turbo+exhaust+fuel pump+good injectors with a proper tune you should be near 300 HP.

Just be ready to become lots more involved than you planned, that's usually what happens with these cars, but they can be well worth it.

-GCNTSi.