Need help with 88 quest

Lunar Enigma

I bought an 88 conquest a few months ago and I'm having a little trouble with it. First off I do need new rear struts. They are shot. bottoms out like hell. I need a power steering pump, a new front bumper with the air dam and the grill. The radiator fans for some reason will turn on when it gets hot and stay on for only about 30 seconds and wont come on for another 2-5 minutes. one of the fans doesnt even come on. Oh, and my quest has a very bad overheeating problem that I need to fix. Theres more but I have to try and remember those. Anyway, any help would be nice. Thanks.

Guest Ray R
there are two sensors for each fan located on the bottom of the radiator. if i remember right one comes on at a higher temp than the other you may need a new sensor for the one not spinning. search for radiator fan mods on this site there are a few things you could to for the fans. now your over heating needs to be delt with soon. the heads are weak on these cars and warp and crack quick. check all the cooling system components thermostat temp sensors even a clogged cat right behind the turbo will cause you to over heat. also make sure your turbo is in good condition. take the hose off the turbo from the air filter. look inside at the compressor wheel make sure the blades arent broken and that the shaft in the center of the wheel doesnt cause it to wobble around and hit the housing. put your fingers in there and see if there is any play.

there are two sensors for each fan located on the bottom of the radiator. if i remember right one comes on at a higher temp than the other you may need a new sensor for the one not spinning. search for radiator fan mods on this site there are a few things you could to for the fans. now your over heating needs to be delt with soon. the heads are weak on these cars and warp and crack quick. check all the cooling system components thermostat temp sensors even a clogged cat right behind the turbo will cause you to over heat. also make sure your turbo is in good condition. take the hose off the turbo from the air filter. look inside at the compressor wheel make sure the blades arent broken and that the shaft in the center of the wheel doesnt cause it to wobble around and hit the housing. put your fingers in there and see if there is any play.

I'll try the turbo thing but from the sound of it running I doubt the cat is clogged. It sounds awesome. I'll look at the sensors too. Hopefully thats whats wrong. It has a ticking problem too. I really need to get that fixed and I'll check the gaskets and everything at the same time. The wierd thing about the over heating is that if I sit still it overheats but if I start flying down the road, even if Im flooring it like hell, it returns to normal temp.

Guest Ray R
sounds like your fans arent running full power. i did the tep fan relay thing back in the day. gives more power to the fans but im sure by now there are better solutions. i think you can hook your fans up together on the same ground to have them both come on. good luck.

sounds like your fans arent running full power. i did the tep fan relay thing back in the day. gives more power to the fans but im sure by now there are better solutions. i think you can hook your fans up together on the same ground to have them both come on. good luck.

What if I just bypass it all and connect a switch to the fans. I would just turn them on when I notice it getting hot. I have a habit of looking at the temp gauge anyways. Would it hurt?

Ok, thanks. Another thing I'm having problems with is the throttle body. I need to rebuild it. Actually just replace all the gaskets and seals. I bought the tune-up kit that has the seals and gaskets but I'm not sure how to do the actual disassembly part. I dont want to mess anthing up.

Read through this;

http://starquest.i-x.net/viewtopic.php?t=1...91055b61e9e85ad

It'll give you plenty of info on what to do keep your fans running and temps down. DO NOT hook a switch to your fans. It sucks having to constantly watch a guage and flip switches to keep cool. I did the "two low temp senders and a jumper wire" to mine last year. Worked like a charm.

Guest Ray R
Ok, thanks. Another thing I'm having problems with is the throttle body. I need to rebuild it. Actually just replace all the gaskets and seals. I bought the tune-up kit that has the seals and gaskets but I'm not sure how to do the actual disassembly part. I dont want to mess anthing up.

its not too hard to do just soak those gaskets in clean oil to help them swell up alittle and watch those two main screws on top they are hard to get off and might strip on you. you can replace them with differant bolts that use and allen key to turn. good luck