Turbo not spooling up

Lunar Enigma

I bought a 88 conquest about 6 months ago that was in ok condition. It runs. But the other day I rode in a friends conquest and noticed that the turbo pumped out 14 psi when he floored it. Mine though will only dish out a couple psi. What the heck is wrong with mine. I have other questions but I'll put them on a different topic. Thanks.

Guest Ray R
I bought a 88 conquest about 6 months ago that was in ok condition. It runs. But the other day I rode in a friends conquest and noticed that the turbo pumped out 14 psi when he floored it. Mine though will only dish out a couple psi. What the heck is wrong with mine. I have other questions but I'll put them on a different topic. Thanks.

off hand i would check for any air leaks make sure the arm on the waste gate is connected, mine was off when i bought it back in the day and found out the turbo was bad. also those stock boost guages arent too accurate to begin with.

off hand i would check for any air leaks make sure the arm on the waste gate is connected, mine was off when i bought it back in the day and found out the turbo was bad. also those stock boost guages arent too accurate to begin with.

Well I have yet to learn anything about Conquests, so could you tell me where to look at and what to look for? Thanks for the help.

Guest Ray R
Well I have yet to learn anything about Conquests, so could you tell me where to look at and what to look for? Thanks for the help.

get a factory manual to start. i think you can still download them online. checking for air leaks consits of all the hoses from the air filter can to the turbo to the intercooler and to the throttle body, make sure you have no holes in any of those hoses and all the clamps are tight especially the rubber hose from the air filter you may have to take it off to really look for cracks in it. on the exhaust side of the engine locate your turbo look for a gold colored rod that has a hole in it that should be connected to a lever. its on the back of the watse gate port. its round and gold colored with 3 vacuum ports im not sure about your year but at least one or two of them should have vacuum lines to it.

Guest Ray R
get a factory manual to start. i think you can still download them online. checking for air leaks consits of all the hoses from the air filter can to the turbo to the intercooler and to the throttle body, make sure you have no holes in any of those hoses and all the clamps are tight especially the rubber hose from the air filter you may have to take it off to really look for cracks in it. on the exhaust side of the engine locate your turbo look for a gold colored rod that has a hole in it that should be connected to a lever. its on the back of the watse gate port. its round and gold colored with 3 vacuum ports im not sure about your year but at least one or two of them should have vacuum lines to it.

ha just found this, its been awhile since ive been on here

www.starquestgarage.com has the manuals in it at the bottom of the page

Factory boost on 88-later cars is:

5-speed tranny type cars:

7.5 psi below 4000 RPM

10.5 psi above 4000 RPM

auto tranny cars:

10.5 psi regardless of RPM

That other car at 14psi is well above stock. It takes some modification to get that type of boost. A manual boost controller (MBC) or electronic boost controller are add-ons to let you "dial the boost up or down" on a good running engine. Folks sometimes mess with the adjustable part of the wastegate actuator (that round part bolted to the turbo with 1 or 3 vac hoses going to/from it) to crank up the boost (shortening the arm) but that can lead to boost "spikes" --> momentary excess boost pressure which can damage the engine. Also, the dash boost guage on the later model cars is just the ECU's estimate of boost pressure... and the computation/estimation is valid only over the normal/stock boost range. Above that... the guage tends to read LOW which is dangerous. That 14psi could be anywhere from 14 to 20psi actually. Aftermarked boost guages are strongly recommended.

mike c.