Blown Head Gasket Issues

FlattopMike

Well I finally got around to pulling my head after blowing the head gasket.

When I pulled the head bolt on the exhaust side between 3 and 4, it pulled up a small pile of what looked to be powdered metal. When I got the head off I could see that the stuff came from the head gasket. The gasket looked like it was being eaten away. It was a good Felpro gasket. What would cause it to do that or is that normal once it blows?

I'm going to install ARP studs this time. (I'm a slow learner)

I vacuumed and blew out the bolt holes but is there a better way to make sure they are clean?

Cleaning bolt holes is easy. I've done this with every major engine teardown/ rebuild...chase the threads with a tap. I always coat the tap with some cutting oil to actually cut threads, but to clean them up...I use gear oil. My logic is that it's heavy enough to grab the junk and hold it. Run it in and out as many times as needed to get them clean, wiping it off each pass on a clean, lint free shop towel.

As to why the gasket melted down? A very good question. I've seen this quite a few times over the years, but never could come up with a satisfactory answer in each situation. Without actually being there when you tore it apart, I can't guess. Usually happens on leaner cylinders, logic tells me it's because that one runs a bit hotter from the leaner mixture.

When you do start to put it back together, just make sure the mating surfaces are CLEAN and true. Don't forget Loctite on the in block threads of the studs. The foreward most ones that thread into the chain cover are not torqued as far as the other bolts.