To MPI guys in cali

I May move to the Bay area my car has no cats but I have access to one; How hard was it to pass smog with a MPI quest?

What did you to the car?

Thanks in advance for any info.

I didnt do anything to pass smog. MPI run cleaner than the factory setup. Plus you can tune the fuel / timing the way you want too. I had no problems passing smog. I did have the Magna and SDS fuel management. it looks all stock so it was not a issue with them saying its been modified.

Jonathan

You'll have to find some one who doesn't know much about cars or is willing to look the other way and risk their job and/or business to get past the visual inspection. It may run better and cleaner but that doesn't mean jack to California. Even if the MPI looks stock, they will be looking for the secondary air system and the EGR valve that most don't try to fit on with the MPI.

I didnt have one problem when I smogged mine in Woodland hills. The car is old and is not really known. Sure they might look for all the items, but if they dont see something on a car they know nothing about, lots of people just pass over it. I have smogged numerous modified cars at different locations. Some people are sticklers and others are easy.

Jonathan

when were you in woodland hills? in the last two years, smog regulations have gone up ALOT. now they have to test the EVAP anda couple of other things and if theres any visual trace of smoke you fail even if you pass the sniffer

The evap system is pressurized and pass/fail based on pressure drop not smoke. Only two machines are certified by BAR and nearly all the station use the Dephli unit because of cost.