Electrical problem draining battery

boysatt

I have a 87 Conquest TSI. It seems to drain the battery within 2 days, if I don't run the car. I can't seem to find out whats causing it, because I can't find anything on. Anyone else have this problem or know where I can start looking.

My interior lights don't work so I know it isn't them, and I pulled the bulbs to make sure they wouldn't give me problems.

I know my power windows still work after turing off the car for a few minutes, so I am guessing it has a retained power circut?

So is their any relays that tend to go band or what, I have checked pretty much everyhting and no relays click when I connect the battery, so what next?

I believe there was a problem with the ETAC units under the driver's seat causing a battery drain on some '87 cars. You'll want a second opinion though as I'm not sure which year it was. ;)

Anyway, for a quick test you can unplug the ETAC unit, but you'll lose several features by doing so such as your intermittent wipers.

You can usually remove the ETAC to get to the connectors with the seat still on, but I generally just remove the four bolts holding the seat in and remove it to get better access to bust the bolts lose if the ETAC hasn't been removed before.

After that, just gently snug the bolts so you can use a screwdriver to remove the ETAC while the seat is still in place. ;)

thanks, I'll try that, I just had the etac out the other day because I mounted a adjustable proportioning valve under the seat and I noticed that thing was really rusty so I cleaned it up a bit. I know it was rusty, so ya think water could have shorted it out?

Mike

No, if it was shorted out you'd know for sure. I know when I blew mine by attaching a battery charger to the terminals backwards to roll the windows down while I was building the engine, the windshield wipers started going even though the switch was in the off position.

What I was saying is that some cars came with bad ETACs that would cause a battery drain when everything was switched off.

Of course, this is a good time to ask. How old is your battery?

You can get an upgraded GM alt with the needed brackets and wiring for around $115 from a guy on Ebay. Search for CS130 here on the boards. You'll find the link.

I just ordered a new alternator, wasn't in the mood to deal with that upgrade now, I need the car on the road now, and they gaurenteed they would have it for my at 8am tomarrow, so I can have it on the road.

Mike