pc in car

nick80

How much of a PC do you plan on running? Why do you suspect large draws? What are your intentions for having this?

A high quality inverter should allow you enough juice to run the PC and maybe even a couple other goodies. It can be wired in to give power only when the car is on. Just doing something like that should be maintainable on the stock system.

Now then, if you are gonna run that in conjunction with a large audio video system (all 12V stuff), then you may want to consider some other options. The stock alternator works well in the car but is suceptable to power spikes. Unfortunately, the GM replacement one with higher amps tends to have issues too. My alternator guy seems to think the big issue is heat by the alt, so I'd suggest making sure it gets air to it no matter what alt. you use.

Personally, after talking about various options with him we've decided that adding a 2nd battery with an isolator will be the best bet to run all the stuff I plan to do in the future.

It all depends on your plans. Simple PC for tuning or navigation, then you're good with just an inverter. Next step would be the 2nd batt and isolator and I'd only run that if you got a system too. From there an alt. upgrade is up to you- but probably only necessary if you're running some seroious stuff.

i plan on runing a nice quality sound system in it iam not meanin some loud bass, tryin to go more of a theather sound quality, plus anyother pc stuff like websurfing, movie watching and so on, i may run some webcams on the car as well would realy like to mod them to the body, but not in a way it ruins it, figured it would be cool to mount say 4 very good webcams to the car for mountain runs and so on, would make some cool vids, ill try the extra batterie idea u said see how that holds up

u have any mobos, that are able to run a p4 cpu

I don't, but there are some out there. These will be pricey.

Take a look at Via Mini-ITX Motherboards. They are priced nice and will give you plenty of power. Here is a new Via MB EN15000 (http://digitalww.com/store/proddetail.asp?prod=EN15000). I just built a PC with it and it is very nice. Everything is built in.